Middle School Confidential 2: Real Friends vs. the Other Kind
Middle school social drama can flare up without warning and turn your world upside down. At times like that you may wonder, "Who are my real friends?" Jack, Jen, Chris, Abby, Mateo, and Michelle are back and wondering the same thing because their circle of friends looks like it's breaking up. What's going on? The very popular Monique might be using one of the girls to get to one of the guys and never noticing that one of the other guys is in love with her! Now everyone is either feeling mad, hurt, jealous, or pulled in two directions at once. Yeah, it's complicated! Middle school friendships often are.
Real Friends vs. the Other Kind is based on Book 2 of the award-winning Middle School Confidential™ series written by teen expert and anti-bullying activist Annie Fox, illustrated by Matt Kindt, and published by Free Spirit Publishing. This graphic novel app enables readers to zoom right into the story world. With beautiful full-color illustrations and richly layered audio made up of movie-like sound effects and music, Real Friends will be a sure-fire hit with 8-14 year olds. (Even those who don’t like to read!) As a bonus for parents and teachers, this app puts thought-provoking storytelling and solutions into the hands of teens who deal with tricky friendship issues every day. It’s likely to challenge teens to think about their friendships in new ways and encourage them to stand up for themselves as well as be more empathetic.
REVIEWS OF THE BOOK Real Friends vs. the Other Kind
“Real Friends vs. the Other Kind is both witty and poignant, and a must-read for every young person.”—Vanessa Van Petten, author of Do I Get My Allowance Before or After I’m Grounded
“This is a book that would have had a place under my pillow during my junior high days—especially during those sleepless nights spent over friendship angst.”—Jane Balvanz, author of A Way Through
“Entering middle school can be tough, which is why it’s great to have a series like this that middle graders can turn to.”—Lori Calabrese, Nation Children’s Books Examiner.com
“There are no easy solutions, but the book is full of possibilities, which is exactly what kids need to handle their problems with friendship.”—Prisca Rodriguez, Once Upon a Book
“This graphic book should be slipped into every new middle-schooler’s backpack or under his or her pillow.”—Reach and Teach
• Graphic Novel format for easy reading
• Page swipe or touch page edges for easy navigation
• Auto-save feature remembers your place in the story
• Info page allows you to jump to the beginning of any of the 8 chapters
• 38 pages of story plus bonus Meet the Cast pages
• Two modes of reading: full-page mode or double-tap to zoom-in for frame-by-frame reading
• Movie-like sound effects and music (enhanced sound in zoomed-in mode)
• Compelling stories that deal with universal tween and early teenage stumbling blocks:
+ The Boyfriend/Girlfriend Zone
+ Communication problems
+ Conflict resolution
+ Out of control emotions
+ Friendship issues
+ Peer Approval Addiction (doing whatever it takes to fit in)
• Thoughtful solutions for teens grappling with personal and social issues
• Designed for the hard-to-reach “tween” age group, including reluctant readers
• Powerful addition to an advisory or character education curriculum
• Ideal for teachers who use technology in the classroom
This is a native iPad app, designed specifically for the iPad screen.
More info at our Real Friends vs. the Other Kind website.