Galaxy: Eternal Warfare - Now Available on IOS, Android, Nook and Amazon

12 replies [Last post]
dreamshard
User offline. Last seen 4 years 41 weeks ago. Offline

GALAXY BANNER

Galaxy: Eternal Warfare - Get it Now on IOS, Android, Nook or Amazon!

Hey everyone, We are posting about our new app "Galaxy: Eternal warfare". This app is the product of a small energetic & creative team of students operating out of Melbourne, Australia. Our mission is to create high-quality, engaging entertainment software for a world that is becoming increasingly dynamic and mobile !! We hope you enjoy playing our games as much as we have enjoyed making them.

Thank You:

This game was only made possible because of Corona SDK and Corona Cloud. They have allowed us to develop the game much quicker so we could focus more on design and polish. These tools have cut our development time by at least 3-4 times.

About the Game:

"Galaxy: Eternal Warfare" is a fast-paced, Real-time multiplayer strategy game offering unlimited game play, round after round of addictive adrenaline pumping action and cut-throat competition with players all around the world.

Features:

• Build up ships and send swarms of them to crush your enemies.
  • Over 50 different unique maps or "Galaxies" and endless single-player game play for truly eternal warfare.
  • Take on the world in multiplayer mode, battling players from across the globe in battles that take place across galaxies.
  • 15 unique mission types : take on multiple NPCs, test your powers of foresight in stealth, rebel against an established enemy or take on the ultimate challenge in Titan.
  • Stunning Special effects , electrifying music & an intuitive interface.

IOS App Store: http://bit.ly/15FntJA
Google Play Store: http://bit.ly/Wba7TG
Amazon App Store: http://amzn.to/1230mcW
Nook Store: http://bit.ly/YoZaMS

Media:

Screenshots:

Screenshot

Screenshot

Screenshot

Screenshot

Screenshot

Replies

spideri
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline

Well done getting the game out and on so many platforms! No small feat. At first glance though I notice that it looks a lot like the classic mobile strategy game Galcon (http://www.galcon.com/iphone/). Is it inspired by that? How similar is it and how have you improved on the formula?

Ian

Into-It Games
User offline. Last seen 4 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

Wow, the game looks graphically amazing. I find graphics to be the hardest part of my development, and the most lengthy. Did you hire an artist or did you or your studio do it internally?

dreamshard

Thank-you for the comments everyone,

@spideri Yes, Galcon was our main source of inspiration, after downloading that game a few years ago I was very impressed by how addictive yet simple the game was. When I started out with Corona last year my goal from the start was to create something that was as polished and as addictive as Galcon. Since there were so many Galcon clones out there it would be hard to create something that would stand out. Instead of creating a Galcon clone, we focused on creating something that was much better. The first month or so of development was focused purely on single-player. We added 15 unique missions compared to Galcons 3, we created a better AI, we had more explosion effects, a heap of sound effects and music and more intuitive user interface. Also, our theme for the game was less cartoony, we used real planet textures and we tried to make the whole interface feel more realistic.The next month was all about multiplayer because this would be the most important thing to set us apart from the clones. At first we really struggled with this since I had no idea about how to do it with Corona, but after discovering Corona Cloud (Game Minion at the time) it couldn't have been easier. In my opinion we have created something that is better than Galcon, but then again - it is my game :)

@intoitgames Thanks so much, we're really glad that you like the game. Yes, you're right the graphics were the hardest part of the development process, all the art is done internally by my brother. We would have loved to hire an artist, but we are high-school students so it makes hiring anyone unrealistic.

Into-It Games

You guys are high school students?! I also am and thought I was alone. I started developing beginning of the summer when I was going into my junior year and am a junior right now. I have definitely learned a lot of art skills but am nowhere near as good as you guys. What software do you guys use? I use mainly Inkscape and GIMP with various plugins. Also do you have any recommendations where to learn to create better art. If you look at the screenshots of my game at the following link you can see that I have a lot of room for improvement so I was definitely curious how you got so good :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.intoitgames.superstickman.lite

spideri
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline

@Dreamshard - Thanks for the frank response, it's good to hear to you've tried to improve on the excellent Galcon. The release is an impressive achievement for anyone never mind high-school students so again well done! You are clearly a very talented pair and I can't wait to see what new games you come up with in the future.

@intoitgames I think it's amazing you've got an app released whilst still at high school. If you enjoy the art as well as the code then great. There are many of examples of people who excel at both but if you find it hard then don't be afraid to collaborate with an artist. We love Inkscape and GIMP too!

dreamshard

Thanks again for your your replies

@intoitgames Thanks, it's great to see there are other students in the corona community, just goes to show how great a job the corona labs team have done to make their sdk so easy to learn. I started out with game development about 5-6 months ago and so I still have alot to learn and improve on but for the graphics we use photoshop. GIMP will probably do for now unless you have quite a lot of money to spare but I would recommend getting a wacom drawing tablet - it is crucial for the more complicated games. Also one thing that will make any game look like it has professionally made graphics is particle effects. Try Particle Candy - it is an extremely valuable tool for any developer. I also downloaded your game and it's looking great, I will definetely give it a 5 star rating when I have time.

@spideri Thanks again for your kind words, we hope that other people are impressed by our game too.I think I really owe alot of credit to Corona Labs as without them I probably would've never been able to create a game at all. We actually are working on a new game already - it is an rpg and will be much more complicated than Galaxy.

Please check out our new website created by my brother: http://dreamshardstudios.com
And follow us on twitter: https://twitter.com/DreamShardDev

Thanks

Into-It Games

Yes, Corona is definitely amazing. Not only is coding easier, but development and testing is many times faster than if I was using just the Android SDK.

I am also far more comfortable drawing characters and other "imperfect" shapes by hand so I would definitely look into getting a tablet. I checked out Wacom's site and they seem to have a "Bamboo" line of tablets that are priced for those of us that don't want to dish out hundreds of dollars on one their professional tablets. Here is a link to their Bamboo tablets.

http://www.wacom.com/products/pen-tablets/bamboo

Do you know the difference between "Splash" and "Connect"? They seem to be the same size and have the same specs. I also noticed the models with bigger touch pads. Do you think it is worth dishing out the extra 120$ to get a bigger "screen"?

Into-It Games

The more I learn about your studio the more amazed I am. Did you code up that website or did you use a site-builder? If so, what site-builder? I am also working on a website but I am currently a one-man team and it is far too much work for one person to do everything :(. Either way, very impressive stuff!

dreamshard

@intoitgames Yes, drawing characters and imperfect shapes with a mouse is very hard and also a huge time-waster. We have an intuos5 medium and absolutely love it, being a previous owner of a bamboo I can tell you it's definitely worth it to pay the $100 more and get the intuos - even if it's the small version. A bamboo will still speed up the process a ton and if you are going to get one I would recommend getting either the "Splash" or the "Capture". The "Connect" is designed more for annotations to documents and notes so don't buy that one. The capture is $20 more than the splash but is much more useful. Definitely don't buy the larger "Create" model as you would be much better off with a smaller intuos. In regards to our site, no we didn't use a site-builder, the graphics and code were done by my brother. To be fair though he has professional experience with building sites as he used to work freelance creating sites to fund our app-development :) I think a professional site where you can offer support and a blog though is crucial to any app's success - so it's definitely worth your time and effort even though it does mean learning yet another skill. Good-luck!

mohamed
User offline. Last seen 5 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

@Dreamshard, looks really cool, great way to take an existing concept and adding your own twist on it.
Make sure you add the "Made by Corona" badge to your site.

If this is your first attempt, I think we are all excited to see the next one.

Great job.

-Mohamed

dreamshard

@mohamed Thanks Mohamed, We have put a lot of work into making this app and we really appreciate your kind words. We already have a "Made by Corona" badge on our site, see "About us" page http://dreamshardstudios.com/about.html. This is our first attempt but definitely won't be our last ;)

dreamshard

Hi guys,

Version 1.1 of "Galaxy: Eternal Warfare" is now live, we have changed all the text to use a custom true type font and have fixed all the multiplayer login problems people were having. It is currently on a 50% off special release sale on itunes so check it out @ http://bit.ly/15FntJA . We are also working on a promo video for youtube which will hopefully be out tomorrow.

Thanks - DreamShard Studios

Viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.