iOS 6 Orientation Crash

47 replies [Last post]
SegaBoy
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

So I've just updated xCode and got hold of iOS6 - late I know.

But unfortunately noticing that my app is crashing shortly after launch on the xCode Simulator. The app is intended to be used solely in one landscape orientation and worked on device/simulator prior to iOS6.

However now the app boots up - show the menu screen and shortly crashes with the following error:

Supported orientations has no common orientation with the application, and shouldAutorotate is returning YES

Does anybody have nay knowledge of this? Not sure whether iOS 6 needs any changes to the build.settings file, currently I have the following for orientation settings:

settings = {
        orientation = {
                default = "landscapeLeft",
                supported = {"landscapeLeft"},
        },

Which as I said worked fine on iOS5.

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

SegaBoy

P.S Think it could be related to this - Game Center on iOS6 in landscape only orientated apps:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12427979/ios6-gamecenter-authentication-in-landscape-only-app-throws-uiapplicationinvali

I've reported the bug with Apple as it seems to be an issue with iOS6 - however would appreciate if anybody has any workarounds or facing a similar issue?

P.P.S 100% Game Center related as I stopped the initiation call to GC and voila - no crash!

SegaBoy

So Apple seem aware of this bug and issues the following work around, not sure whether that helps us with Corona:

Game Center
Landscape-only apps that invoke a portrait-only view controller (such as the Game Center login screen) will cause the app to crash.
Workaround:

Apps should provide the delegate method application:supportedIntefaceOrientationsForWindow and ensure that portrait is one of the returned mask values.
When a UIBNavigationController is involved, subclass the UINavigationController and overriding supportedInterfaceOrientations.

I'd appreciate it if anybody from Corona would be able to chip in with a comment as to whether this is useful for us - hoping Apple will squash this bug before iOS is put on general release, but fearing they might not.

Kimberly Horne
User offline. Last seen 1 year 44 weeks ago. Offline

We were hit with this as well. If your game only supports landscape, try the following:

Make sure your build.settings orientation block contains the following:

default = "landscapeRight",
content = "landscapeRight",
supported =
{
"landscapeLeft", "landscapeRight", "portrait"
},

You need to specify that you support all three orientations, but that the default is a landscape and that the content is always landscape. Below, in your iphone.plist block, ensure you have the following:

UIInterfaceOrientation = "UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeRight",

UISupportedInterfaceOrientations =
{
"UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeRight", "UIInterfaceOrientationPortrait"
},

This allows the GC to come up. It'll be in portrait orientation rather than landscape, but at least your app isn't crashing.

SegaBoy

Thanks Kimberly - works like a charm.

Kimberly Horne

We just found a gotcha - native widgets (like textField) are rendered at a 90 degree rotation. :(

Edit: nix that. Native controls are rendered at 90 degress in landscape mode regardless of the suggestion I made above. Bug being logged now.

Tom
User offline. Last seen 33 min 18 sec ago. Offline
Staff

We are aware of the GameCenter bug and it's a documented bug from Apple. I think your solution to allow Portrait mode and fix the content at Landscape is a good solution for now.

We are also aware of the native.newTextField and TextBox bug where it doesn't work in Landscape mode. There is also a problem where Autorotation doesn't work for all display objects. Apple changed the way they handle rotation in iOS6 and we are looking into the changes now.

SegaBoy

Seems as though build .914 fixes this issue for me.

Tom
Staff

Build 914 fixes the rotations issues but we don't think it fixes the GameCenter crash. The workaround above is the best solution for now.

There still is one other iOS6 issue we are looking at. Apple removed the ability to display "printf" messages in the Xcode Console so none of the Corona print statements or runtime errors will be displayed. We are trying to find a way to fix that but it's not an easy fix (if we can even do it).

Let us know any other iOS6 problems you find.

Thanks,
Tom

Kimberly Horne

Logging is the only big one left for us that we're 100% sure about although we have some reports of folks having issues with IAP on older 6.0 builds (but we can't reproduce those).

As for the logging, I'm going to try and temporarily replace the print function with one that writes to a file in the document directory. It's not ideal, but at least we can see what's happening after the fact.

SegaBoy

It's certainly not the prettiest or efficient bit of code - and I haven't tested it extensively, but this should help anybody who's struggling with the lack of print statements on device in xCode following iOS6/xCode 4.5.

Simply put a blank log.txt file into your build directory and refactor the following code into main.lua:

releaseBuild is a global variable (nasty I know) to decide whether I want to actually print stuff to a file or not for the final build - simply define it above in main.lua and set to true or false.

if releaseBuild then
    function print() end
else
        function print(statement)
                local statement = statement
                --print(tostring(statement))
                local path = system.pathForFile(  "log.txt", system.DocumentsDirectory )               
            local file = io.open( path, "a+" )

if type(statement) == 'table' then
                        local t = statement
                        for k,v in pairs(t) do
                                if type(v) == 'function' then
                                        table.remove(t, k)
                                end
                        end

local jsonString = json.encode(t)

for k,v in pairs( t ) do
                                if v.type ~= 'function' then

file:write( k .. "=" .. v .. "," )
                                end
                        end
                else
                -- Creates the file where we save our data if needed
                        file:write(statement.."\n")
                end

io.close( file )
        end
end

You'll have to download the xcappdata file from Xcode and click 'Show Package Contents' to actually be able to check out the log.txt file.

Seriously hoping Corona can work around the print obstacle to avoid having to log print statements to a file.

Stephen Lewis
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 41 min ago. Offline

I also experienced the same type of crash, not with Game Center, but by opening the device's photo library using media.show( media.PhotoLibrary, sessionComplete) on a landscape-only restricted app. The fix noted above also fixes this crash.

Stephen Lewis

I had to modify the fix slightly to get my app to work in both landscape orientations. The original fix displays native objects correctly but all corona display objects are upside-down in one of the landscape orientations. Here's the revised fix:

orientation = 
                {
                content = {"landscapeRight","landscapeLeft"},
                supported = 
                        {
                        "landscapeRight","landscapeLeft", "portrait",
                        },

},

Stephen Lewis

Blarg... maybe I spoke too soon. Following the advice here it seems that my Corona apps go into portrait orientation when I rotate the device (or simulator) left 90 degrees (curiously, rotation right works as expected).

Has anyone successfully worked around this issue - i.e. - iOS 6, landscape only orientations, native ui (game center, photo library, text boxes) not crashing, rotate left not causing screen orientation to change to portrait?

Puzzle Runner
User offline. Last seen 1 week 3 days ago. Offline

@Stephen I tried the exact same thing as you with the same results. I'm in the same position right now myself: I can support landscapeRight or landscapeLeft, but not both at the same time AND not have GameCenter crash AND not have content switch to portrait mode when the device is put in that orientation.

Tom
Staff

Everyone, please file a bug with Apple about the GameCenter crash. The more people who file this bug the sooner it will be fixed.

Stephen Lewis

@Tom,

As far as I can tell, the workaround isn't working for me because of a problem with Corona. Unless I'm misunderstanding the information here http://developer.coronalabs.com/content/configuring-projects I should be able to lock Corona's orientation (while allowing native UI elements to auto-rotate) by adding the content parameter in build settings. So the below should lock my Corona content to Landscape orientations while allowing the native stuff to auto rotate:

orientation = 
    {
        content = 
        {
            "landscapeRight","landscapeLeft"
        },
        supported = 
        {
            "landscapeRight","landscapeLeft","portrait","portraitUpsideDown"
        },      
    },

But what I'm seeing in the simulator and on iOS devices is the Corona content rotating to portrait orientations along with the native stuff. If this worked as I'm understanding the docs to describe then the workaround for the iOS 6 crash detailed above would work for me. Is this a bug or am I not understanding the purpose of the content parameter?

Also, it's not clear to me why I need to set UIInterfaceOrientation and UISupportedInterfaceOrientations in the plist block. Isn't that already being covered by the orientation block?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

canupa.com
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

frustrating. we planned to upload our nearly finished game whithin the next weeks. Game Center is deeply integrated and adds a high replay value to the game.

For time being, we could live with game center in portrait mode, while the rest of the game is in landscape mode. But unfortunately the workaround adds more problems.

Stephen already pointed out, that, using the workaround, ALL native elements will rotate when rotating the device ... game center views, web views, native text fields...

Also, the game center view still leads to a crash (tested on a iPad2, iOS6) when opening game center in landscape view. But when holding the device in portrait position, game center opens (in landscape mode!), it doesn't crash and it even stays stable when rotating the device back to landscape position.

I hope Apple fixes this ASAP and we will be able to release the game as planned. *keeping fingers crossed*

-finefin

Tom
Staff

I hope everyone is filing a bug with Apple so the GameCenter and PhotoPicker crash get fixed. There is nothing we an do on this end to resolve the problem.

ZippyMind
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

There are (native) workarounds suggested at StackOverflow for this issue. Is this something that Corona SDK could implement?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12522491/crash-on-presenting-uiimagepickercontroller-under-ios6/12575058#12575058

Tom
Staff

@orz, the workaround does keep you game in landscape mode and allows the GameCenter to run in portrait mode when needed. The only problem with that solution is all native objects (e.g., textFields and textBoxes) would also rotate to Portrait mode while the rest of your app was in landscape.

We have looked at some native code solutions and they still allow native objects to rotate, so that's no better than what we have now. We also looked at subclassing the GCK but that has a high chance of being rejected by Apple.

The Unity link didn't mention anything about GC, just that it fixed iOS6 orientation bugs so I don't really know if they found a solution.

The Stackoverflow link talked about a fix but in the end they admitted that there were still problems:
"Yes, like it's written in the post title problem appears in "GameCenter authentication in landscape-only". It seems that GC just doesn't have landscape assets for auth screen for iphone in ios6, so I suspect you won't find a real solution - only workaround described here. That is why you have to allow app to launch in portrait mode when GC wants - but deny portrait in your main view - if you don't want portrait of course. By the way, there is no such a problem in ipad on ios6. – Tertium yesterday"

We are trying to find a solution that works but in the end Apple has to fix this issue.

Stephen Lewis

Tom (or anyone who knows)

Could you please post an example build.settings file that shows the workaround working for a landscape only app that supports *both* landscape orientations? (I understand that native objects will still rotate to portrait)

I've tried many combinations in settings but I still get NON-native assets (ie all the corona display objects) rotating to portrait as well. Worse, if the user starts my app in portrait mode it bungles up all the corona content when they do rotate to landscape.

The workaround originally posted above only supports one landscape orientation. I need to support both, with the ability to open user's image library, without crashing on iOS 6.

ZippyMind

Just sharing another link with suggestions (native workarounds) for the above issue, don't know if this could be of any help here.

http://grembe.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/here-is-what-i/

Our landscape-only game doesn't have game center integration, however, we have native text fields and photo picker functionalities.

I would really appreciate if there is a workaround/suggestions for this crash issue.

orz
User offline. Last seen 1 year 49 weeks ago. Offline

Tom, I rechecked our build.settings and set it as exactly same as Kimberly Horne suggested on comment #3, and now our app keeps landscape. Sorry for the confusion I made.

However the WebView, the only native control we use, still rotates, and even worth it is locked 90 degree rotated when the Portrait Orientation Lock is enabled by user.
I'm still unconvinced that this is something Apple is to fix.

As for Unity, I read some blog article and tweets from developer that they say they fix specifically the Game Center issue, though it's in Japanese and I couldn't find English information about this.
http://akisute.com/2012/09/unity-355-game-center-iad-uiimagepicker.html

atymes
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Tossing that through Google Translate, it looks like they're explaining the bug, but they haven't fixed it either.

Would it be possible to include this fix if Corona detects that only landscape options are listed in build.settings?

https://devforums.apple.com/message/731764#731764

Tom
Staff

We had our iOS engineer spend two days on this and looked at all the options and there is no general purpose solutions that works. We can do it using private Apple APIs but that will be rejected if you try to submit the app to the App store. My FAQ blog post for this week talks about this issue.
http://www.coronalabs.com/blog/2012/10/03/faq-wednesday-ios6-bugs/

Everyone needs to file a bug report with Apple so this gets fixed ASAP.

atymes

That workaround does not work. If I have

orientation = {
  supported = { "landscapeRight", "portrait" },
},

then all my content displays in landscapeRight and portrait. I am using no native display objects, just Corona, and those non-native display objects rotate too. This is using build 2012.926.

Tom
User offline. Last seen 33 min 19 sec ago. Offline
Staff

If that's all you have in your build.settings, it won't work. This is what I have in my build.setting file and it works fine for me.

settings = {
        orientation =
        {
        },
        iphone =
        {
                plist=
                {
                CFBundleIconFile = "Icon.png",
                CFBundleIconFiles = {
                   "Icon.png", 
                   "Icon@2x.png", 
                   "Icon-72.png", 
                },

CFBundleIdentifier = "com.appledts.GKTapper",   -- Apple's GameCenter Example (GKTapper)
                },
                components = {} -- no openfeint
                --components = { "openfeint" }  -- for openfeint & gamecenter
        }
}

Stephen Lewis
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 42 min ago. Offline

I noticed in today's FAQ Wednesday:

"...Note that the content = “landscapeRight” line. Corona limits this setting to only one orientation..."

From this i gather I can't use this workaround and support both landscapeRight and landscapeLeft. But it gives my app an amateurish feel to only support a single, fixed orientation, so I'm wondering if this is something that can by addressed by Coronalabs, at least until Apple fixes their bug. Basically i'd like "content" to support more than one orientation, just like "supported" does.

atymes

@Tom,

Of course that's not everything. Here's everything (minus a few bits that are not iOS-rotation-related; it can build without the omitted bits).

settings =
{
        orientation =
        {
                supported =
                {
                        "landscapeRight",
                        "landscapeLeft"
                },
        },
        iphone =
        {
                plist =
                {
                        components = {},
                        CFBundleVersion = "66",
                        CFBundleIdentifier = "com.playgearz.toss",
                        CFBundleIconFile = "Icon.png",
                        CFBundleIconFiles = {
                                "Icon.png" , 
                                "Icon@2x.png" , 
                                "Icon-72.png" , 
                                "Icon-Small.png" , 
                                "Icon-Small-50.png" , 
                                "Icon-Small@2x.png"
                        },
                        UIInterfaceOrientation = "UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeRight",
                        UISupportedInterfaceOrientations = {
                                "UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeRight",
                                "UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeLeft"
                        },
                        UIApplicationExitsOnSuspend = false,
                        UIStatusBarHidden = true
                },
        }
}

settings.iphone.plist["UIInterfaceOrientation~ipad"] = "UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeLeft"
settings.iphone.plist["UISupportedInterfaceOrientations~ipad"] = 
{
    "UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeRight",
    "UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeLeft"
}

I replaced the orientation part with...

orientation = {
},

...and it made everything rotate into portrait.

Note that I did not change the UISupportedInterfaceOrientations or settings.iphone.plist["UISupportedInterfaceOrientations~ipad"] parts, just the "orientation" section. Changing just the "orientation" section, by itself, made non-native content rotate into portrait. (It also prevented the content from rotating into landscapeLeft, but that was expected.)

As with Stephen, we need this to work for landscapeLeft and landscapeRight - but first we need this to work, period, and it does not.

Nevistech
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Add my name to list of people who need a fix! As with others who are using landscape mode, I think that restricting orientation to Landscape right will not go down well with reviewers and users, particularly on the iPad.

So it seems we have a choice: do not support Game Center and get scored down for not supporting it, or do not support the standard orientations, and get scored down!

Great support, Corona team so far, but we need a fix!!

Maybe I'm over-simplifying the issue, but I cannot see why portrait mode cannot be restricted from available orientations, except when game center is invoked.

Anthony

bfintal

I also need a fix for the orientation stuck in only 1 orientation. I just released a game yesterday and got a 1-star review just because it doesn't rotate!!

Nevistech

bfintal,

Exactly my point.
Come on, Corona, don't hide behind Apple! Apply some resource here because we know you can fix it! How many great apps will be on hold until we have a fix?

Anthony

ZippyMind

We like some of the fixes from latest builds, however, we can't use it since iOS 6 workarounds provided so far are not acceptable or practical for our release (native text fields rotating 90 degrees to portrait).

Is there a way, we could build the latest for iOS 5.1 as well till we get iOS 6 issues resolved?

bfintal

I don't think going back to 5.1 is a good idea since the majority of the devices have upgraded to iOS 6 already (I saw this stat somewhere but forgot where exactly).

CoronaLabs, we need that orientation update!

orz
User offline. Last seen 1 year 49 weeks ago. Offline

Tom, can we just configure GameCenter not to show SignIn dialog?
If the user is already signed-in she can just continue playing with GC enabled.
If not, our app is notified with the new event.type, so we can show a message to tell the user to go to GC App and sign in if she wants to use GC.
However with all we have now we can't stop sign in dialog to appear and result in crash.
The only missing piece is the ability to disable just the sign in dialog.

walter
User offline. Last seen 1 day 19 hours ago. Offline
Staff

Hi all, as you can probably imagine, our engineers have been pulling their hair about how to resolve this in an elegant and effective way.

It's a tricky problem, especially since we're trying to solve it in a way that addresses everyone's use case, not just one person's.

We have a stopgap in place, but we know it's not perfect.

We took a step back late Friday to see if we could come up with something better. Will update when we have something solid to share.

walter

Nevistech

Thanks!
We appreciate your efforts and have our fingers crossed waiting for a solution.

Anthony

Nevistech

-- also posted as separate thread on daily builds
Hi,
Version 2012.928 (2012.10.4)

Two new issues with game center on IOS 6: shows up on Xcode simulator and device (iPhone4)

1. Lauch app, press home button during game center activity; relaunch app. App crashes. Launch app for second time, no issue. I'm using all the recommended fixes for the game center orientation Apple bug. Has anyone else experienced this ? I have UIApplicationExitsOnSuspend = true

2. To get around the annoying game center log-in box the first time you launch an app, I am only calling gameNetwork.init() when the user touches a "game center" button from within the game.
I then call gameNetwork.show() from within the initCallback() function
The issue is that if there is no internet connection, initCallback() is not called at all. So the user will press the "game center" button and get nothing. What is needed is a callback to indicate that login failed. Or even better a function to report whether the user is logged in (without invoking the log-in screen!)

CoronaLabs, any advice or ideas? Hopefully these can be incorporated into the use-cases you are looking at now.

Anthony

ZippyMind

Here is an update ...

I just tried 2012.930 build on both iPad 3 and iPhone 4 running iOS 6.

Our landscape only app has no game center integration, we have native text fields and photo picker functionalities.

Photo picker

- Works fine on iPhone 4 (native text fields not rotating to portrait now)
- Crash on iPad 3 (photo picker doesn't work)

Based on this, I think the fix is required on iPad 3 as well.

Or, is there any iPad specific settings that needs to be applied?

Thanks a lot for working on this issue.

Stephen Lewis

I tried the new fix incorporated in daily build 2012.930 and can confirm opening the photo picker on an iPad 2 will crash. It does not crash on an iPhone 4 (and the photo picker opens in portrait orientation as expected).

bfintal

Yikes, if this is the case I might stick to the non-rotating orientation for stability

walter
User offline. Last seen 1 day 19 hours ago. Offline
Staff

Hi all, I've posted the backstory on the fix in 930: http://www.coronalabs.com/blog/2012/10/09/ios-6-game-center-and-landscape-orientation/

Also, we also have a workaround coming for the photo picker issues on iPad.

SegaBoy

Hey Walter - I posted this on the blog article, but think you might see it more prominently here.

The workaround isn't working for me. My app is designed to only support one landscape orientation ("landscapeLeft"), however the new fix is auto-rotating despite my build.settings only registering for this one orientation.

Curiously the app doesn't auto-rotate in the Corona Simulaltor!?!

FYI here's my build.settings:

settings = {
        orientation = {
                default = "landscapeLeft",
                supported = {"landscapeLeft"},
        },

iphone = {
                components = {},        
                plist = {
                        CoronaUseIOS6LandscapeOnlyWorkaround = true, 

Stephen Lewis

Thanks Walter et al at Coronalabs for hammering on this.

The fix posted in build 931 seems to have done the trick. No crashing in my app in Photo Picker, iOS 6, iPad, both Landscape Orientations working. Whew! Just in time for Apple to "fix" it and break something else ;)

macman223
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hello,

I'm looking to release an update to one of my apps. My question is: if/when Apple fixes the Game Center crash with an iOS update, will my app that includes the fix above start crashing?

Thank you.

ZippyMind

Anyone have updates on this issue from iOS 6.0.1 patch released yesterday?

robmiracle
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

This appears (at least in the release notes) to be addressed in the iOS 6.1 beta.

Viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.