Level Director - Level creation tool for windows

83 replies [Last post]
retrofitProductions
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 6 hours ago. Offline

Please check out my new level director tool at www.retrofitproductions.com

As a windows user I struggled to find a good level editor that met my requirements so I created a one that did.

I tried Gumbo but I really wanted to have multiple layers and was not keen on the export and the way it handled assets, but still a great free tool.

I then used Lime and Tiled but just found them too restrictive if you were trying to create a level that was not completely tile based. I also encountered major performance problems on Android.

Level Helper looks fantastic but is for Mac only, boo.

The main features of Level Director are;
* Multiple layers
* Allows different grids (as guides and snap) on each layer
* Collision editor
* Physics Editor
* Show physic bodies on a layer
* Corona LUA export - level file has its own function to create display objects and a simple structure to access all elements
* Asset based so just drag and drop existing assets
* Support for simple sprite sheets
* For Windows users
* Rapid copy and paste
* Corona launch button
* Many more features and always improving.

Check it out and let me know what you think and how it can be improved.

Thanks
J

Replies

J. A. Whye
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

I'm not a Windows guy so I don't have any suggestions, but it looks really cool.

Jay

boxie
User offline. Last seen 4 years 21 weeks ago. Offline

Looks very well done, and thank you for adding another great resource to the windows community!

I'll be sure to get it soon

-Boxie

schizoid2k
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 12 min ago. Offline

Looks nice... will give it a try for an upcoming title I am working on.

peach pellen
User offline. Last seen 4 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Alumni

A friend of mine point this out to me yesterday, I don't use Windows but it looks excellent and if I do get a PC going again at some point will certainly check it out.

Peach :-)

retrofitProductions

Thanks for your comments they are much appreciated.

I'm in the process to allow Text Objects to be added and I should have an upate in the next couple of days.
Any other suggestions are most welcome.

retrofitProductions

Level Director v1.4 has just been released and contains loads of fixes and new features, including text objects, object tree view, post object callback and option to setup a collision handler and specify which objects are under its control.

Download it at www.retrofitproductions.com

Coming soon - button objects.

retrofitProductions

Just released Level Director v1.5 at www.retrofitproductions.com

This release now adds support for 'Rectangle' and 'Circle' display objects.
I think I have covered all their properties like rounded corners etc and you can even apply physic attributes to them.
Included in the download is a simple Pong game example that shows these objects in use.

My 5 year old son actually loves this game, more so than games I've spent months on, typical.

It only uses built-in vector objects and contains some simple AI to control the CPU player and keeps track of the score.

You can get the source from here;
http://www.retrofitproductions.com/wp-content/uploads/edd/2012/10/Pong.rar

If anyone is interested I might turn this into a mini tutorial for newbies, but the code is quite simple.

alfgago
User offline. Last seen 2 years 50 weeks ago. Offline

Nice, does it support spritesheets?

classic1144
User offline. Last seen 48 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

This looks very nice! I'll probably buy it after I've played around with it a little more. Coronalabs should promote this somehow, too bad if its just forgotten in the forum

retrofitProductions

Yes it supports simple spritesheets i.e. all frames but be the same size.

When you add an asset it prompts you with the image width and height, here you can modify these values to get the number of frames.
An asset is then created for each frame.

When using animation sequences you can specify the start frame and no of frames and the export will do the rest.

retrofitProductions

Hi classic1144, I am currently working with CoronaLabs to get this promoted but they seem very busy at the moment so it is difficult to get responses.

Please explore it though and let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

retrofitProductions

If you would like to check out some of the examples that come with Level Director before downloading it you can get them here;
http://www.retrofitproductions.com/wp-content/uploads/edd/2012/10/Examples.rar

The examples give a good feel for what can be exported from Level Director.

On a slightly different note I would like to mention one option being overlooked by some users which is the rapid copy and paste.
When you select an object hold down CTRL+[arrow key] and the object will be duplicated in that direction, this will save you loads of time when you need to repeat the same object.
SHIFT+[arrow] moves the object.

alfgago

Can I do a horizontal scrolling platformer using spritesheets or tilesets with this? I mean a horizontally long level. I don't know if it should load the whole map at once or load only what I'm seeing, to make it less performance expensive, no idea how it works really or what's best for a platformer. I'm trying to decide between this, Lime and Gumbo right now. :S

retrofitProductions

Creating scrolling wide levels was the main reason I created level director.
Lime is a great toolset but I just found the performance to slow and the tile base system too restrictive.
I then started using Gumbo but although a great free tool the lack of sprite sheets and layers again was not suited to my needs, plus I didn't like the export.

Performance is always a problem with these types of games and generally you would use a combination of creating level data and clever code to retrieve data as needed.
It also depends on the style of game as for a simple platform type game you could place the platforms off screen as you go rather than having a fixed level.

One advantage with level director is each layer does not have to be the same width as your entire level.
So the background layer might be sky and clouds, a middle layer which could be a repetitive theme layer like trees or buildings and the foreground layer which is the game layer where all the action happens.
The export then allows you to control each layer so you can scroll them independently and you can add a user property to the layer to specify the parallax speed.

One of the examples gives an idea on how to create a simple scrolling game where the grass repeats and the trees are moved independently to give a parallax feel.

I would try it and see if it works for you, and keep your assets bigger so you don't have hundreds of tiny display items. For example keep a tree image as a single tree rather than in lime/tiled it being made up of 20 tiles.

retrofitProductions

Hi alfgago,

Another thing I meant to say that may interest you is that I'm currently testing an asset manager system in Level Director.
It simply allows you to add assets (images) and then export them.
Also in the export it has a function that allows you to spawn a new object from one of your assets and it automatically adds animation sequence, bodies and physics attributes you set up in Level Director.

This may help in an endless runner type game...

Still in testing but I'll keep you posted.

alfgago

That would be awesome! Love the editor, I'll be testing it more tomorrow. And most likely buying it soon, when I'm done with some other aspects of the game I've been working on. ^^

retrofitProductions

Until the end of November use the discount code 5OFFLD to get $5 off.

alfgago

Good, I had just noticed the $5 price raise and almost bought it for $15. That's what I get for doubting so much. Oh well, just bought it, thank you for the code ^^

retrofitProductions

Version 1.6 now available for download at www.retrofitproductions.com

* New asset manager export added

* Export property added to asset.
Defaults to True for single frame images and frame 1 for spritesheets.

* ‘Export Assets’ option added to tools->options.

* ‘Export Level’ option added to tools->options.

* ‘LoadAssets’ and ‘CreateObjectFromAsset’ functions added to export LUA code.
(LoadAssets must be called first)

* Assets can now be multi-selected and deleted.

* Added new ‘AssetTest’ example project.

* Fixed issue in polygon editor where ‘round’ shape would not draw correctly for images contained in a spritesheet.

* Fixed typo in Pong example to correctly centre the ball.

retrofitProductions

If you have had problems running the examples on a real device then it is caused by the case in the image folder name.

Change the folder name ‘Images’ to ‘images’ or in config.lua change ‘images’ to ‘Images’ and they should build and run correctly.
It is annoying that the build process does not detect issues with case.

I’ll fix this in the installer and release a point build shortly.

Thanks to 'berry' for bringing this to my attention.

retrofitProductions

I'm pleased to announce Level Director 1.7 which includes Bezier Curves at www.retrofitproductions.com

• Newly added Text Objects are now positioned correctly when canvas scrolled.
• Updated config files in all examples so that the case of the image folders matched the actual folders.
o This resolves an issue where the examples did not run on a real device.
• Fixed issue with objects that are rotated and scaled.
• NEW : added ability to create Bezier curves.
o Each bezier has the option to export only data or data and display.
o Note: physics properties are not currently supported.
o Bezier points can be added, moved and deleted.
o Added new example project ‘Bezier’ to show it in action.

retrofitProductions

For anyone interested I've included the example bezier project from Level Director.
http://www.retrofitproductions.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Bezier.rar

This will give you an idea of how the Level Director export works and an example of how the bezier.lua module is used.

retrofitProductions

I've just uploaded v1.71 which resolves an issue in the export when scaling objects which are part of a spritesheet.

retrofitProductions

Just released v1.72 that fixes an issue when copying and pasting bezier curves.

retrofitProductions

I've had some really good feedback after releasing v1.7 which saw the addition of Bezier curves but going forward I would really like to hear what new features you would like to see.

Currently on my list are;
1) Button objects.
2) Code snippets.
3) Add gravity scale to physic properties.
4) Scene Director - allow multiple Levels/scenes to be managed at once
5) New API style export.
6) Create some video tutorials
7) Update documentation.
8) Option to flip objects including Bezier Curves.
9) Add physic bodies to curves.
10) Support Widget Objects.
11) Custom Vector objects.
12) Masks
13) Joints

I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Thanks
J.

alfgago

1. Draw a Polygon.
2. I don't know if this is even possible, but I want to have an image and like carve the level inside the image, something like deleting part of the image with a custom shape to carve a level.

retrofitProductions

Hi alfgago,

1) Yes the ability to draw polygons is on the list as no. 11 custom vector objects.
2) I'm not what you mean here but it sounds like you want to you use masks, have you explored these?

Thanks for your suggestions.

alfgago

The #2 was hard to explain, but I don't even think it's possible. Sort of like masks, but actually change the image and have the physics shape adapt on the edges of the deleted part. Or actually, a mask in the editor would work almost as good, that's something else I'd like, a custom mask editor xD

retrofitProductions

I think I know what you mean now, I'll add 'masks' to the list.

How did you get on exporting your scaled and rotated images, are they ok now?

alfgago

Graphically, it works perfectly. But it looks like the scale doesn't scale the size of the physics body, just the display object.

I don't need it anymore, since I already got my resized spritesheet, that was an old, smaller one I was testing with. But it would still be great if you could fix that. ^^

Elliott
User offline. Last seen 3 days 7 hours ago. Offline

I had the same issue but I will try this again.

retrofitProductions

In theory this should work if the points are mapped to the scaled image but I will check to make sure this works.

retrofitProductions

Just to confirm that I tried exporting a scaled image with a polygon physics body and it appeared to work correctly.

Steps;
1) Add an image
2) Scaled the image
3) Mapped a polygon body to the scaled image
4) export

Note: If you're not using a polygon shape body then I believe that Corona/box2d will not automatically scale the standard rectangle body for you.

On a different note I have also added Joints to the wish list.

Thanks.

alfgago

The problem is when it's not a polygon shape, it's when you don't even set a shape, like the default rectangle.

The only way I can think for a solution is to set the new width and height of the display object before adding the physics body

Also, another feature I'd like would be a visual radius, for round assets.

retrofitProductions

That's what I thought and this is a limitation of Corona i.e. it does not scale the physics bodies.
The workaround is to use polygons and map the body to your scaled image.

A visual aid for round objects is already there.
Under the physics properties for your object set the body shape to 'Round' and then click 'Edit shape' it should show you your image with a circle overlay based on the radius which you can modify at the top.

You can also see the body shapes for a layer by clicking on the layer in the tree list and under the layer properties tick 'Show Bodies'.

alfgago

Found another small bag that you should fix asap, when exporting a physics object with a double number in the density, friction, bounce, and I'm guessing pretty much any other property, it exports it with a comma, which doesn't work. Corona needs it with a dot.

This is an example of what was exported:

physics.addBody(level.layers["New Layer"].objects["rect_1"],"static",{density = 1, friction = 0,7, bounce = 0,3})

And this is what is needed

physics.addBody(level.layers["New Layer"].objects["rect_1"],"static",{density = 1, friction = 0.7, bounce = 0.3})

Just change the ',' for '.' when exporting ^^

retrofitProductions

Hi,

I just tried it and it exported ok for me so I wonder if it is a localization issue i.e. windows maps dot/period as comma.

I'll look into this as regardless of localiztion it should export as a dot.

alfgago

It might be a localization then, the level editor doesn't even let me write it with a dot, it says "0.7 is not a valid value for Double".

Edit: It was my PC, I just changed it in Control Panel -> Region and Language -> Formats. I had the default decimal symbol as a comma. It's working now

retrofitProductions

Cool I'm pleased you figured it out.

Also did you find the shape editor I mentioned with regards to viewing the circle body?

doubleslashdesign
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Looks cool.

i'll check this out as well, I have windows and mac so I'll be all over this - right after vacation.. :)

Larry

alfgago

Yeah, I saw the circle editor, works great.

Another feature that I don't really need right now, but would still be cool to have in the future would be multi-element or complex bodies editor

retrofitProductions

Yes joints and complex bodies are on my list, just need to spec it out and find some time...

retrofitProductions

Some exciting news, Level Director has now made it to the offical 3rd Party Tools Page.
http://www.coronalabs.com/resources/3rd-party-tools-and-services/

retrofitProductions

Level Director v1.8 Released.

* Bezier export now honors physic properties so the curve can interact with other objects.

* New Bezier example added which demostrates a curve with physics.

* The polygon body editor now detects concave polygons (limitation of Corona) and changes color to warn you.

* Prevent more than 32 points from being added to a Bezier curve as this is currently the technical limitation allowed.

* Fixed bug when deleting Circle objects.

retrofitProductions

Just realised that I missed this from the release notes on v1.72;

* Added gravityScale property to object physics.

I don't imagine this is used much but thought I would mention it in case you needed it.

ivke2006
User offline. Last seen 1 year 31 weeks ago. Offline

@ retrofitProductions

Wow, this is really a nice tool. But I have two important questions for you. :-)

1. When is support for widgets implemented
2. When is a MAC version released?

Keep up the good work!

hytka81
User offline. Last seen 2 years 40 weeks ago. Offline

Hi!

It would be really nice to be able to create a mirrored bezier curves (in x or y plane) from an existing curve. Like creating a copy of an existing curve using copy&paste and then flipping it in x or y direction.

Another thing: There seems to be no way to edit bezier curve point that is outside the boundaries... Like if I accidentally create curve that has one point outside its boundaries I can't move it anymore. Maybe I'm missing something or could this be changed somehow? Of course for now I can recreate the curve to make it right but still.

Anyways this is a nice tool and has helped me a lot :)

Br,

Kalle

retrofitProductions

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

Widgets are low on the priority at the moment as they will probably take the most time to do but I'm hoping to have something by 2nd QTR 2013.

I created Level director for Windows because I do not own a MAC so a MAC version is unlikely at the moment, plus there is also more competition on the MAC with Level Helper and Levels but you never know...

retrofitProductions

Hi Kalle,

The mirror and flip options are on my list of things to do so hopefully I'll have something for you soon.

With regards to the points outside the curve you simply need to extend the rectangle using the little drag box on the bottom right to make sure it covers all the points and you should be ok.
This is also my list in that if a point is outside the bounding rectangle then it should automatically be extended.

Thanks

LairdGames
User offline. Last seen 9 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Congrats for a great tool! I am looking at the free version first (1.8 I believe) and i have an issue and a probably a stupid question!

1- When I try to open an example, I get an error message saying something like:

"access to C:/.........../Assets.idf is Denied" and below is rest of error message.

2- How I do add an image to the layer? I mean i can see can add text, rectangle and circle shape, but image?

Thanks. I am really hoping to use this tool for my next project.

Mo

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Director.LDObjectLevelPack.LoadPicture(String file_name)
   at Director.frmDraw.mnuFileOpen_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at Director.frmDirector.OpenFile(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5662 (QFE.050727-5600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Level Director
    Assembly Version: 1.7.0.26369
    Win32 Version: 1.8.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/retrofit%20Productions/Level%20Director/Level%20Director.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3623 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3620 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
Aga.Controls
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/retrofit%20Productions/Level%20Director/Aga.Controls.DLL
PropertyGridEx
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/retrofit%20Productions/Level%20Director/PropertyGridEx.DLL
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3074 (QFE.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Design
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Design/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Design.dll
System.Drawing.Design
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing.Design/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.Design.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
aknkbie9
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
0rykpvy4
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.