Tower Defense Template for Sale!

26 replies [Last post]
TandG
User offline. Last seen 14 hours 5 min ago. Offline

Hi everyone :)

After making a tower defense tutorial a few weeks ago, i've finally got round to improving it and making it a fully working game. All the main features you would expect from a tower defense game have been implemented, such as; an easy level creation process, enemy movement/sprites, multiple placeable towers with upgrades, scoring/health/money systems and most importantly of all its easy to improve and edit!

I tried to comment all of the important parts of the code to make sure that people can understand whats going on and allow them to edit it more easily. As well as the source code you get most of the PSD files used, the images and sound files.

Heres the link for more information:
Tower Defense Template
If anyones interested its £19.99 and if you click purchase you can have it running on your own machine in a matter of minutes :)

If anyone happens to have a suggestion for a new template let me know!
Thanks for your time!

Jamie Trinder
T and G Apps Ltd.

Tower Defense Template Menu Tower Defense Template Gameplay

Replies

thedavebaxter
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 43 min ago. Offline

That is pretty damn impressive.

It would be worth buying just to see how you did some of the stuff, even if you not interested in a Tower Defence game.

Dave

TandG

Thanks Dave, glad you like it :)

The main aim was to cover a fairly large array of different functions, therefore like you said, even if you don't really like tower defense it should still come in helpful.

neilw711
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Just bought my copy! This is an awesome learning tool to create Tower Defense games. They're becoming really popular these days. My first tower defense game was Cartoon Wars. I got so addicted to it then I started buying more tower defense games.

Thanks again for this template! Too bad I'm American so I payed a little bit more :(

TandG

Thanks for purchasing Neil! :)

Many hours were lost at university procrastinating on Balloons tower defense, but it was definitely worth it!

Ahhh sorry Neil, thats Paypal for you! I'll look into adding more payment options soon when i've got some more templates to add.

Ninja Pig Studios
User offline. Last seen 5 days 1 hour ago. Offline

Looks like a very good template, I will buy it sometime later this year when I'm ready to release my next game. Does this use a* pathfinding or is the path just specified?

peach pellen
User offline. Last seen 1 year 44 weeks ago. Offline
Alumni

Good luck Jamie, may pick this up sometime - looks very well done :)

vellum
User offline. Last seen 1 year 35 weeks ago. Offline

Nice looking template! We may be doing a TD in the future, but I am going to buy it regardless. I am pretty sure I could learn something!

I am also curious if it is waypoints or a pathfinding algorithm. I know that you did a tutorial on TD games a while back that used waypoints.

Regards,
Brian Reinhart
Vellum Interactive

TandG

Thanks NinjaPig and Peach! Feel free to get it whenever you want :)

Hi Vellum thanks for the purchase!

In regards to pathfinding, this template uses waypoints. The maps themselves are too small to warrant the use of pathfinding in my opinion. It does seem like a much requested feature though and therefore i could make up another version which makes use of A* pathfinding. I just need more hours in the day to go about doing that :D

Naomi
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 59 min ago. Offline

Nice! Bookmarked to come back to purchase when I'm ready to create a Tower Defense type game.

Naomi

Daniel W.
User offline. Last seen 1 day 7 hours ago. Offline

If you made a tower defense template with the A* algorithm, I'd be willing to pay a bit more.

TandG

Sounds good to me Naomi :) thanks.

Ok I'll definitely get round to sorting out an A* version soon. I can't this week as I'm all booked up but I'll do it as soon as I can.

Also, does anyone have some suggestions to other templates that may be good to have? I want to try and get a few more products on the site over the next few weeks.

Ninja Pig Studios
User offline. Last seen 5 days 1 hour ago. Offline

Yeah, if this was a*, and you could place the towers in any tile, I would buy it in a heartbeat. What would be a cool feature too, is when you place a tower, it effects the dirt path. You should make it do that, so the dirt changes lets say if you place a tower it it's way!

TandG

Ok i will definitely make an A* edition then. Im already half way through doing a space shooter template, so once that is done i will get this new version sorted.

Were you thinking of a game somewhere along the lines of this? http://www.kongregate.com/games/preecep/desktop-tower-defense

TandG

Just a quick update...

The space shooter template is nearly complete, but contracted work is holding it up so you can expect that template in a week or so. Then the A* version of this template will be created. I've had some good feedback so far as to what templates people want and so far here is my list:

- Endless runner
- Endless jumper
- Racing Game
- Mario style game
- Tiny wings
- Spot the difference
- Hidden objects
- Tiny Towers type game

The one that i will probably do first is the endless runner template, but it would be great for some feedback from you guys as to what you think the next one should be :)

Thanks,
Jamie

twomack33
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 14 hours ago. Offline

I would totally buy this template if you had A* support!

Daniel W.

I definitely think the A* template should be your next project!!!

After that, I've always been interested in a racing game.

TandG

Ok A* will definitely be the next project :)

The space shooter template has been held up by other contracted work, but i'll get that released shortly!

Daniel W.

Was this ever updated?

TandG

Its currently half updated.. I've been so busy with other projects/contracted work i haven't really had time to finish it yet. As soon as its done i'll let everyone know here though!

Ps. We also seem to be having some website issues right now, so i apologise if some people have issues getting to it!

maroun.tanos
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

I just purchased the defense tower , i wonder why did you repeat the logic game code twice
in menu.lua and in gameinfo.lua ?
Can i know if i am missing something

TandG

Hi Maroun,

The logic code in the menu.lua file is stripped down and simplified compared to the logic code in gameInfo.lua. The code in the menu is there just so the towers can fire and the enemies move to make the menu more interesting.

They are very similar yes, but they do slightly different things and at the time i thought it would be easier to understand if i had them in separate files.

I hope that clears it up a bit :)

Thanks,
Jamie

maroun.tanos

No sorry i didn't get it, Do you mean we are using both code in the game ?
Or just one of them .
I know 1 of them is simplified but which one we using ?

TandG

We are using both, but in different files, e.g. The code in the menu.lua file is just for that file, it isn't used anywhere else. The code in the gameInfo.lua file is just for that file and also isn't used anywhere else.

You can remove the towers/enemy functions from the menu.lua file and the game will still run fine as the code that handles all the levels is located in the gameInfo file and isn't related to the menu in any way.

I'm sorry if i'm explaining this badly!

maroun.tanos

No need to be sorry but that was a funny explanation
i read it 100 times and still didn't make any sense :p

The code in the menu.lua file is just for that file, it isn't used anywhere else. The code in the gameInfo.lua file is just for that file and also isn't used anywhere else.

Anyway dont bother ill try to follow your code more and check what you are doing .

bpran
User offline. Last seen 14 weeks 14 hours ago. Offline

I think I can explain it better.

You need both files (menu.lua and gameInfo.lua).
The logic code in MENU is decorative purposes, to make the menu more interesting (so tower in the menu can fire, or enemy in menu can move).

The logic code in the GAMEINFO is for the game itself, that's why the logic code in GAMEINFO is more complex.

maroun.tanos

Got it ! Thank you so much for your patient .
Add to your explanation it was me who did not notice that in menu there is towers that shoots and enemies that comes by .
My bad :)
Now i got your code , and i am reading it line by line .. i will let you know if i was lost somewhere !

Thank you again

Review : AND FOR all who are hesitating from buying the template i tell you : It worth the money , easy , well commented . the math is well done and i totally love it so far

Viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.