How'd the June Meeting Go? Did anyone local enter into the Nook Dev contest?

8 replies [Last post]
thy.toeung
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Just wondering how the June meeting went. I couldn't make it as I'm out of town, but wanted to see how things were going.

Also, did anyone enter into the Nook Dev contest for June? I got my "Charades Attack" app submitted and approved, but it was an interesting process.

Thy

Replies

budershank
User offline. Last seen 36 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

I was trying to my my current project done for the promo but just couldn't get it ready in time.... but yea, Nook's app process is grossly inefficient. On top of that their stupid website uses Flash so I can't really use my iPhone to see my sales.

The good news is the market place there is great as far as consumers buying apps. Well worth the annoyance. Also, whenever I had to communicate with their team(which was once or twice) it felt more down to earth, where as with Apple it feels like I am talking to a well programmed robot.

thy.toeung

I wasn't too impressed with the use of Flash either for reports.

But I agree with the communication with their team - very helpful. Also, when they rejected my app, B&N team always gave very good and specific feedback that helped me narrow down the issue.

My biggest complaint was less with Nook and more with the Android ecosystem. Coming from iOS where there are GUI's for everything, having to use command line tools to build and test my app was very crude. And I gave up after several hours of getting the Nook simulator to work.

Thy

elbowroomapps
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 43 min ago. Offline

I attended the June Nook meeting for Corona developers. It mostly covered an introduction to the NOOK dev program and marketing info. They didn't get into any technical discussions about developing for the NOOK. The main thing I remember is that they had some data showing that the percentage of women who purchase through the NOOK store is much higher than other app stores.

I submitted an app for the June promotion. I got a response email saying my app would be included in some special promotion they are planning. I'm not sure when that's going to happen.

My app has only been available for a few days, but their report says I have had 0 sales. I know that's not correct because I bought a copy.

I think they are having a different July promotion. If I can find a link, I'll post it here.

elbowroomapps

Here is the info on the July Nook promotion.

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=aa0068cc0faff8a9603476ae0&id=3f9d6ed22a&e=2188e31a56

It for children's apps.

budershank
User offline. Last seen 36 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

@ elbowroomapps, Three kind of weird things with their reports. The first is that the other day it was down. None of my previous sales were showing. I'm not sure how long this was but when I checked in the morning it was down, when i came home in the evening it was back up.

The second thing is that seem to generate their sales numbers two days later, as opposed to everyone else who generates sales numbers the next day.

The last thing is that their wording is a little weird when your final app is approved. I'm not sure if it immediately gets posted for sale or not(I don't have a nook so can't check). How soon did you buy your app after they said it was approved?

Anyways, maybe that explains the lack of sales data showing up.

thy.toeung

I had to keep checking the status online through the nook portal. I would get emails for some status changes, but not all of them.

I think the Nook refreshes their store every Wednesday. For my development, I ended up getting approved on a Thursday, so I had to wait a week for it to show up. I don't have a Nook either (borrowed one to test with), so just kept checking the nook app store online.

robmiracle
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

I got Omniblaster up in Nook during June in time for their promotion. I haven't heard who won the Nook Color yet though. Hope it's me!

elbowroomapps

I'm seeing some sales data now. It looks like there is a 2 day delay between when the sale is made and when the data is reported on the website.

Viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.