Prelim Roadmap

64 replies [Last post]
walter
User offline. Last seen 6 days 16 hours ago. Offline
Staff

Extra extra! Read all about it.

Update on the Corona Roadmap is available here: http://blog.anscamobile.com/2012/05/corona-roadmap/

As I discuss in the post, here is a list of our feature backlog. If you feel like there are features we've missed, please post them in the comments below.

We'll be taking this static list one step further. You'll be able to vote on your top 3 features.

Just a fair warning, don't bother voting here. Instead, let us know if we missed something. We'll be setting up a more structured way for you to do that as I mention in the blog.

What's that? You want more information on how to vote? Alright, alright. We do have more answers for you. Just click here :D

• Android
    • Larger APK’s (expansion file support)
    • MapView
    • WebView
    • VideoView
    • Intent filtering
    • Push Notification
    • Audio performance
  • iOS
    • Access to setting NSUserDefaults
    • Native twitter support
    • iMessage
    • iCloud (do not backup extended attr)
    • Maps (breadcrumps, directions, multiple pins)
    • Add image to photo library
  • Audio
    • Implement current seek position
    • Support network streaming audio
  • Graphics
    • Polygon shapes
    • TileMap
    • Textured lines
    • Video (render to texture)
    • 9-patch image scaling
    • dynamically create rectangular masks
    • image cropping
    • vertex arrays
    • Shaders
    • bezier curves
    • Text
      • bitmap fonts
      • text metrics
    • Transition effects (e.g. page curl)
    • 2.5D
    • Augmented reality
    • Overlays on camera/video sources
    • native particle system support
    • image manipulation (color hue mapping)
  • Physics
    • Joint stability (ragdoll/piston car)
    • Update to latest box2d library
    • New joint types
    • Better fixture control
  • Monetization
    • Payment providers
    • Ad Networks
    • Promotional networks
  • Networking
    • OpenSSL
    • SOAP
    • Access to device's IP address, netmask, gateway, and broadcast addresses of the network interface
    • Bonjour/ZeroConf
    • Improve network.request (progress, headers, post data from file)
    • Improve network.download (better error handling)
    • Bit manipulation
  • Libraries
    • Localization library
    • Zip/unzip library
    • LPEG
    • LFS (DONE)
  • Misc
    • Address book
    • Calendar
    • XML Parser (via LPEG)
    • Encryption/decryption
  • UDID
    • Update 3rd party libraries (DONE)

• Flurry (DONE)
      • Inneractive (DONE)
      • OpenFeint (DONE)
      • InMobi (DONE)
      • Remove SuperRewards (DONE)
  • Widget
    • Android theme
    • iPad widgets
    • On/off switch
    • Custom skin/theming guide
  • Extensibility
    • Plugins
    • Corona PacKages (Packaged Lua+Assets)
  • SDK
    • Simulator

• Remove Mac simulator dependency on Java
      • Simulator API for 3rd party debuggers
    • Documentation
      • Corresponding to each daily-build
    • Debugging
      • Error/Log-handling hooks
      • Device debugging
      • Simulator API for 3rd parties
    • Profiling diagnostics
      • Event listener, rendering engine, etc.

Replies

mpappas
User is online Online

Top Priority: +1 Android MapView
Second Priority: +1 Android MapView
Third Priority: +1 Android MapView

bonesmalone133
User offline. Last seen 3 days 19 hours ago. Offline

Really hope the updates to the Map API includes touch events for map markers...this has been long overdue.

lKinx
User offline. Last seen 6 days 13 hours ago. Offline

Gosh dangit... I've been RickRoll'D. :(

Also, in Graphics, what is "TileMap"?

info583
User offline. Last seen 1 year 35 weeks ago. Offline

"Gosh dangit... I've been RickRoll'D. :(

Also, in Graphics, what is "TileMap"?"

^That :)

overbeat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline

The way will be interesting.

What about interface builder for aligning elements on the screen? It takes hours and days in total development time to find the right place and size of the element, with changing numbers in the code. Is it 2012 year now or not?

And for heaven's sake, fix the Simulator for Windows. Every time it crashes at the first start. And sometimes at the second. Arrgh!

Sven.Lua
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

What means "Extensibility - Plugins"
Is it really the hardly needed "no f* way" feature?

+111 for native 3p-plugins

Puzzle Runner
User offline. Last seen 4 days 18 hours ago. Offline

AdMob + iAd on iOS and Android using the latest AdMob SDK. There are at least 5-10 threads demanding this functionality. Inneractive and InMobi as the only options is killing us and preventing us from properly monetizing our apps.

I think it's important to point out that people are not asking for "more ad networks" as seems to have been interpreted on this roadmap. We don't want Ansca to introduce another "partner" network. We don't want substitutes. We want AdMob + iAd, and I think it's important that that is made clear.

taweesakh
User offline. Last seen 1 year 19 weeks ago. Offline

+1 Widget On/off switch

+1 Networking Improve network.request (progress, headers, post data from file)

budershank
User offline. Last seen 23 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

+1 for native iAds/AdMob

Something that isn't on here and worries me a bit is the lack of IAP for Kindle!

danedwar
User offline. Last seen 7 hours 8 min ago. Offline

Looks great! One things I've not seen mentioned for a while is multisheet sprites with the new imagesheet API .....

martin.edmaier
User offline. Last seen 1 year 17 weeks ago. Offline

Debugging
Error/Log-handling hooks

Must have;) +4

ckausik
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Nice roadmap! We need some support for oAuth 2. I have been looking for an external Lua library for this as well. I have not seen any yet.

alangrus
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

I admire the forward thinking regarding Android parity. None of that is of much value if I cant see it. You gotta release a Android 1280x800 emulator for the popular 10" tablets, where most of my sales are. Evolve the Galaxy Tab to 1280x800 format, that should work.

Good luck.

OwenYang
User offline. Last seen 10 hours 27 min ago. Offline

+1 for native iAds/AdMob
thanks!!!

tap32
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 28 min ago. Offline

I'd love to see more focus on making improvements to the graphics feature set at the moment. As a programmer I find I keep hitting my head against limitations such as a not being able to colour and mask images at the same time (removing that limitation alone would be awesome).

I'd love to see more blend modes too, or just shaders. If I can mask and blend effectively, I'm sure that a lot of really cool possibilities will open themselves up to the community.

I'd also love to be able query images for texel data and be able to render to a target. I've actually considered using the photo album as a back buffer! (probably because I'm stupid)

I know that those features are unexciting for those who aren't programmers, but I think they'd really free up the community to create some amazing effects which could be made available through 3rd party tools or "share your code"

richard9
User offline. Last seen 19 min 8 sec ago. Offline

Minor, but if you're fixing widgets....

I'd love to see a "rebuild"/"refresh" function for widget.newTableView()

jeff472
User offline. Last seen 1 year 23 weeks ago. Offline

GetPixel()

unless thats what you mean by

image manipulation (color hue mapping)

Tom
User offline. Last seen 17 hours 18 min ago. Offline
Staff

@overbeat,

Have you filed a bug report about the Windows Simulator crash? We only have one report of the problem and we have not been able to reproduce the issue. We need details about your setup and any error messages or warnings you are getting. We also need which build numbers you get the crash on. We can't fix something we can't reproduce so we need your help.

There is an error message about a JSON file in use which we thought was part of the problem but that error occurs in our release build (704) but not in the more recent daily builds. We would be interested in knowing if the crash occurs without the JSON error message.

Thanks,
Tom

robmiracle
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

The things I see missing are:

Access to the Music/Video library.

Better collision detection (Non-Physics Based and/or having kinematic objects generate collisions since we don't always want gravity to affect things)

Access to IPTC/EXIF data for image files.

Kindle Fire/Amazon IAP

Being able to Apply a mask to an image, then trim the resulting image (so that the center is the center of the masked visible image not the original image that's being masked)

ckausik
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

+ 1 for AR
+ 1 for overlay on camera

overbeat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks for support, Tom! This is funny, but today Simulator works like charm. If there will be another crash, I will submit a bug report, though I don't know what to write there, cause it fails at the very beginning, mostly when trying to open main.lua from the Exlporer. That's all I know.

DotFive Labs
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 17 hours ago. Offline

AdMob + iAd on iOS and Android using the latest AdMob SDK.

kiteorca
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

+1 for Larger android APK files and support for expansion,we need this to build a bigger and better game on android

james_s2_06
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

+1 for Larger APK on android.

bedhouin
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Can we request the option for ARMv6 builds for Android as a feature? If enough people vote for it would you bring it back?

ignis075
User offline. Last seen 1 year 13 weeks ago. Offline

A few things I'd like to see...

1) TRANSITION PAUSE/RESUME. I would use this frequently. I know there are custom libraries/functions to do this, but it should be native. It's tedious to consider pausing and resuming transitions on a per-item basis, especially if they are "easing" transitions... very complex to consider where the easing state was upon pause and how to re-factor it upon resume.

2) SPRITE ENGINE PAUSE. Self-explanatory, just like "physics.pause()". All sprites are paused, ideally with delta "between frame" factored in (for example, if there are 200 milliseconds between frames, and a sprite pauses at 120 through this change, it picks up the remaining 80 when the sprite engine resumes).

What else? Well, I think perhaps the "big enchilada" for me would be "app.pause()". It pauses *everything*: physics, sprites, audio, transitions, timers, etc. I would use this in every app I create, even non-game apps. The easy-to-forget "device pause" that is triggered by iOS in so many different circumstances (battery reaches 10%, incoming call, etc. etc.) makes "pause" a necessary feature even on most non-game apps... and the ability to simply stop/resume the entire Corona engine would be a dream. :)

Otherwise, the roadmap looks good. Keep up the great work Ansca!

Brent Sorrentino
Ignis Design

borgb
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 42 min ago. Offline

great to see adding image to photo library up there. Hope you also fix the orientation bug with full res images from the camera at the same time :)

vovasoft
User offline. Last seen 1 year 8 weeks ago. Offline

Access to the Music/Video library.
download stop.
audio network streaming

photiscta
User offline. Last seen 3 days 55 min ago. Offline

Difficult decision...
All the graphics list! :)

robmiracle

Here are a couple of other things not on the list that could be cool....

It all falls under better camera access.

More and more we are using our camera's for things other than photos, like scanning bar codes, QR codes and such, so it would be nice to have access to:

OCR functionality
Bar Code reader
QR Code reader

Ability to access raw data from the camera.

kevin.partner
User offline. Last seen 14 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

If "VideoView" means native video handling as is currently supported for iOS then YES PLEASE - I have an app just waiting for conversion across to Android.

antonsilver
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Polygon shapes?

Is that to draw stars and such? - I would rather have the possibility to draw what ever shape i like... as when drawing a line and then appending that line with new coordinats... if i could "finish/close" the appended line, the shape coule close (draw a line to its starting-point) and now I could setFillColor on the shape!

would give the possibility to create stars, arrows, polygons and what ever you like, that can scale, get alpha and all the other things you can do with the rect!

maybe you could even save it as an image, and use it to make a dynamic mask (slice games, worms e.c.t.)

garysims
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 8 hours ago. Offline

Hi,

RE: RoadMap

You mention making changes to implement 64-bit... My question is this... I am thinking about renewing my subscription but I only have a 32 bit Intel Mac with Snow Leopard and I can't upgrade to Lion... Will Corona continue to support Snow Leopard on a 32 bit Mac... I don't want to buy a new subscripition then find out that I can't run it.

Thanks,

Gary

alangrus
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

@garysims

You have no choice now, prepare for it. In order to submit iOS Apps, you need to build with the latest Xcode 4.3.2.

Apple: "Build and submit to the App Store. - Use Xcode 4.3.2 with iOS 5.1 SDK to compile, validate, and submit release versions of your iOS 5.1 apps to iTunes Connect. Xcode 4.3.2 Requirements: OS X 10.7.3 or later. Your Mac must have an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor to run Lion."

I was in the same boat, thinking I could hold onto my 32 bit Mac Mini, but it had a non-supported CPU. So I got a new Mac Mini with i7 CPU that is a way better box (at $1100).

You gain every advantage with the $29.99 upgrade to Lion, if your Mac can handle it.

Pixin
User offline. Last seen 1 week 22 hours ago. Offline

+1 Joint stability

garysims
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 8 hours ago. Offline

@alangrus,

Do you have a link to the document on Apple's site that says that you must use Xcode 4.3.2 with iOS 5.1 SDK. As far as I knew Apple let you compile and submit with anything from Xcode 3 upwards. For example if I am targeting the iPhone 3GS and onwards with a minimum of iOS 4, then I don't need Xcode 4.3.2 with iOS 5.1 SDK.

Secondly, am I am not trying to be rude in anyway, spending $1100 on a new Mac isn't an option for everyone... In the country where I live that is the equivalent of 3 months salary... We don't all live in the USA!

WARNING RANT STARTING:
I can't rant at Apple here, but I can rant at Ansca...

1) When I picked Corona it was $99 as were other SDKs... Now that I have invested 3 years of coding etc the price is $349 while the other SDKs stayed at $99. That means the price has gone up 4x. If I had known this I won't have picked Corona... but now I am stuck and it is costing me heavily... Almost a week doesn't go by when I just think to stop it all remove all my apps from iTunes and cancel all my subscription... I would actually be better off...

2) My apps are written and in iTunes, but then this stupid iPad Retina bug appears. It is Ansca's fault, not mine, but now I have to renew my subscription ($199 or $349) just to fix a bug that THEY made. So here is how it works, they made errors and I need to pay real hard cash to fix their errors. THANKS!

RANT OVER

Anyway, it looks like I will use Macincloud. It seems a very cheap way to get access to OS X Lion. I will do all the development on Snow Leopard and/or Windows and use Macincloud for a final compile.

Thanks (and sorry for the RANT).

Gary

Tom
User offline. Last seen 17 hours 18 min ago. Offline
Staff

@garysims,

1) Apple has always required you to use the latest OS and Xcode to build your apps. They have dropped support for Snow Leopard with the latest version of Xcode and Corona needs to keep current with the improvements/bug fixes Apple provides.

2) As far as the iPad Retina bug, that was not the fault of Corona. Many other non-Corona applications had the same problem. The solution was building with iOS 5.1, which required Xcode 4.3. Apple pulled a number of their development engineers into the app qualifying process to handle the number of apps resubmitted for approval. Apple dropped the ball in not making iOS 5.1 available to developers before releasing it to the public which caused many developers to scramble to update their apps.

developerdave
User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline

Here comes my $0.02, heartily agreeing with @tap32 :

It’s good you’ve informed us of your development roadmap, thank you for doing so.

I understand you only have so many man hours in a day, and I also understand your desire to add Mac Apps support to widen the appeal of the SDK (you've mentioned this recently on your blog).

However, please bear in mind your existing paying customers. There are certain SDK features that it’s crippling to do without. The most noticeable of these in my mind is shader support. The possibilities with shaders are virtually endless. It would be incredibly pleasing if you prioritised more highly the addition of this feature, since this will unleash a myriad of graphical possibilities and help your SDK stand taller when compared to other SDKs such as Unity.

As regards the blog mention of ‘Level Editor’ and your mention here of TileMap support – there are enough implementations of these hand-rolled and google’able by now, surely! As a developer committed to your product, I would like to state my interest lies exclusively in seeing the API expanded to enable Corona to become better suited to developing graphically competitive games.

Attempting to create a game with visual effects matching those of, say, Geometry Wars, is impossible using the existing API. Please, please, please bolster your graphics API to cater better for matrix-based image transformations, shaders and improved dynamic drawing methods (you mention bezier paths - yes please!).

Thanks for reading, good luck to your team and I look forward to hearing more soon.

codingcake
User offline. Last seen 1 day 12 hours ago. Offline

support Admob and iAd +1

robmiracle

Just keep in mind that Ansca asked us that we not "vote" here, so doing +1's on things already on the list isn't helping out. They want to know about things not on the list.

Supposedly we are going to get a way to vote soon.

BuildandTeach
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Amazon Store In App Purchase Please.

chevol
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 56 min ago. Offline

Please add AdMob support to that list!

mezzalab
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

feature 1: extensibility
feature 2: access to address book
feature 3: XML parser

developerdave
User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline

1. Extensibility is readily available by lua's metatable nature, offering dynamic property modification.
3. An XML parser is already available, posted on the blog. You can find a link t xml.lua in this article:

http://www.coronalabs.com/blog/2011/07/29/how-to-use-xml-files-in-corona/

garymawdsley
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

re: Really hope the updates to the Map API includes touch events for map markers...this has been long overdue.

Me too.

Taruga
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Me too...

I need to assign Actions to Annotation Callouts like I can do on xcode, use custom pins and change pin colors as well

robmiracle

Let me be the first to ask for this:

http://www.amazonappstoredev.com/2012/07/announcing-amazon-gamecircle-a-new-gaming-experience-for-kindle-fire.html

Amazon GameCircle, the Amazon version of GameCenter.

synthesis
User offline. Last seen 1 week 18 hours ago. Offline

Seriously...

What is the status of in-app purchasing for Amazon and Nook? Seems like a high priority no brainer to me...seeing as its a revenue source.

Please implement this if possible ASAP. There are so many apps on the shelf using in-app that could be ported to those platforms.

martin.edmaier
User offline. Last seen 1 year 17 weeks ago. Offline

+Bluetooth gamepad support

james309
User offline. Last seen 39 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Flurry is marked as "DONE" ... but it's kind of only a half-implementation right now. Can we get Flurry parameters added into the API? Seems like low hanging fruit and would have a lot of value for us (and others, since i've seen a few other requests for it).

ex. We're trying to add gametypes into our multiplayer, and being able to track the gametypes people are playing (just as one example....i have many others) goes nuts when you add any kind of game parameter into since you have to track everything as a different Flurry Event.

Viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.