corona licensing - technically pro subscription has reduced seats :-(

10 replies [Last post]
open768
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

So I just upgraded from android to a pro subscription to build for OSX.

I've got a co-collaborator who I've given one of my licenses to
so when I started corona on the shiny new mac (which I dont like)
The first problem was that corona complained that I couldnt use
corona on my mac as I had reached my limit of authorised machines.

"You are already using this software on two other computers. Please deauthorise one of your computers before logging onto this computer"

Which is fair enough as I'm now about to use 3 seats, me, my collaborator, my mac

but hang on!! the math dont add up
- buying a android indie gives 2 seats
- buying a iOS indie gives 2 seats

- buying a pro (ie android and ioS) gives only
2 seats - is it me, or should this be 4?

whats the deal here - pay more and get less :-(

I wouldnt mind so much if it said

"You are already using this software on two other computers. Please note it will not be possible to build on this computer until you have deauthorised one of your other computers before logging onto this computer"

I could live with that. ie code on the PC and build on the Mac

Replies

open768

plus its a pain to deauthorise and reauthorise :( everytime a build needs to be done

BPC Games
User offline. Last seen 2 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

Maybe use a test driver ( non-paid ) account on the pc so you can at least code on it?
I don't know whether Ansca would like 1 subscription per person or if they're okay with one account for a team.

peach pellen
User offline. Last seen 6 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Alumni

Hey Open,

You don't actually pay more for less - a Pro sub is cheaper than buying an iOS and Android sub and you can actually build for iOS, Android, the Kindle Fire and NOOK :)

As it stands our licenses are designed to suit 1 developer (although we of course do have options for companies with several developers, if that interests you?) and this way they can use the software on 2 different machines.

We often suggest a second free account if you don't need to use daily builds, however if you do and your collaborator does as well then you might encourage him/her to invest in their own license.

We are aware that some people want deauthorizing to be easier and that is definitely something we are looking into.

Peach :)

open768

@bpc games cheers thats what I had to do get around the limitation.

open768

@peach hear what you say and good that its on the radar.

Re "encourage him/her to invest in their own license." Well that was the plan. - ie I had the android license and he had the IOS license then we could each share each of our spare authorisations to both build for both platforms. ie on the PCs we used my account, and on the Macs we used his account. Went for the multibuy as who would have thought it would take anything away.

The explanation about Corona being geared for single developers isnt really a valid argument :-( .

Unintentionaly or not the license multibuy does take away 2 authorisations - I hope this is resolved soon.

nb I still love the corona product and am using it to develop my first indie commercial app for later this year. I tell all my friends and colleagues about it and wouldnt code in any other language now.

thanks

Sunil

peach pellen
User offline. Last seen 6 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Alumni

Corona isn't "geared for single developers" - but one license is really made for one person, unless you're an Enterprise user.

Personally I use 4 computers and I use two Pro licenses for the 4 seats - that is one option for the time being. (Especially if your friend decides to buy his own license rather than using yours.)

In any case yes, it is on the radar, we're thinking about various ways to handle these things in the future and hopefully make more people happy while still trying to keep things secure.

Thanks,
Peach :)

open768

@peach thanks for your reply - have taken this offline and raised a bug report (case 13571)

jstrahan
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 1 hour ago. Offline

but if you have an android sub. and an iOS sub. instead of 1 pro sub. don't you lose kindle and nook access

open768

true, but i'm a small outfit and I have people who want to build for android and ios. Economics says I'd rather forego kindle and nook in being able to build for ios and android only.

that is until I'm rich from my ad revenue and can afford to splash out on pro licenses for all my team. *fingers crossed*

jstrahan
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 1 hour ago. Offline

I'll cross mine for you to

Viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.