Understanding letterbox scalling

62 replies [Last post]

Replies

thedavebaxter
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

What a fantastic thread, thanks CluelessIdeas.

This subject has always confused me but it just clicked after reading your post.

Dave

chris.l.frederick
User offline. Last seen 3 years 47 weeks ago. Offline

I don't understand how this forum topic/method can be stickied considering that this implementation has a pretty major bug; parts of the screen don't respond to touch events. Any update on this?

nglenister
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline

Hi!

Excellent post!!

I was wondering what your thoughts are with regards to sprite resizing? Given that dynamic resizing won't work for animated sprites, is there a recommended way of dealing with them? At the moment my background images look perfect on iPad retina but the sprites look crap?

Neil

nglenister

Hi!

Excellent post!!

I was wondering what your thoughts are with regards to sprite resizing? Given that dynamic resizing won't work for animated sprites, is there a recommended way of dealing with them? At the moment my background images look perfect on iPad retina but the sprites look crap?

Neil

nglenister

Hi!

Excellent post!!

Neil

P.S Sorry about the spam posting above! Accident and I can't delete them :/

thedavebaxter
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Am testing my app on a Nexus 7 (works fine on iOS) and place my buttons using -

Main.lua -
local storyboard.globals.topY = display.screenOriginY

In my button code I use -
pencilButton.y = storyboard.globals.topY + 20

On all iOS devices the button is fine but on the Nexus 7 the button is off the top of the screen.

EDIT: Ignore this, it all works fine. For some reason the Nexus was installing a old version.

Dave

Alyousef
User offline. Last seen 10 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Awesome post! I really appreciate it :)

~ShiaDev

trickster_boi
User offline. Last seen 3 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

Does this only apply to backgrounds? What about buttons? :S

jollzy
User offline. Last seen 2 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

Hi rxmarccall

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmlfxont1uo5oqj/UniversalBuildSkeleton.zip
I think the above link is no longer works can you re-post it some where?

Thanks

rxmarccall
User offline. Last seen 4 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

@jollzy,
Sorry that file is missing, I cleaned out my dropbox a few months back and can't seem to find it anymore. Maybe @RSCdev still has a copy of it around? If not I can make another one, it's not too hard I just don't have the time at the moment. I will; get to it if he doesn't have a copy!

nglenister

@jollzy @rxmarccall I still have a copy of it. Hopefully this works: https://www.dropbox.com/s/82x2akdf0wixiea/UniversalBuildSkeleton.zip

nglenister

Also, don't forget, that template works nicely for iPhone 5 res, however, you'll need to add a "Default-568h.png" 640x1136 to your root directory otherwise you'll get a letterbox effect. I'd also recommend using this for your config file: http://www.coronalabs.com/blog/2012/12/04/the-ultimate-config-lua-file/

Viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.