Some questions about building for iOS

6 replies [Last post]
me7
User offline. Last seen 1 year 34 weeks ago. Offline

1. I've presently got Snow Leopard and the most recent version of XCode 3. Exporting for my brand new iPod Touch gives me the following:
warning: iPhone/iPod Touch: application executable is missing a required architecture. At least one of the following architecture(s) must be present: armv6 (-19033)

I *can* upgrade to XCode 4 and Lion if it's absolutely necessary, however I'd prefer to avoid doing so at this moment due to time constraints.

Note that the app does in fact run fine on the iPod Touch after this warning (which is I what would expect since I made sure it's a ARMv7 device). However, I'm afraid I'll have some kind of release validations problems later. What can I do?

2. I have the following scenario: I want to export a debug build of the app to a client so they can make a final test before I produce a release export to (aimed for App Store). I don't have any sort of access to whatever iOS device my client would use for testing (this include not knowing UUID etc.). What's the appropriate way to deal with this? What debug/ad hoc/distribution provisioning etc.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

me7

Btw as you might tell I'm a noob to Macs/iOS development in general.

WauloK
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
robmiracle
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

I think @WauloK pointed you to another thread on this.

But basically with build 707 or so, Corona SDK is no longer supporting armv6 processors, which means a minimum iOS version of 4.3. There where a few daily builds after that where you had to put the minimum OS version in your build.settings to get past a bug. But you will still get this if you are setting a minimum iOS version less than 4.3. Since you're a pro developer, grab a later build (750 is the current) and not specific a minimum OS version less than 4.3 or use an older version, like 706 which still contains the ability to build for older versions.

As for the 2nd issue, the only way you can build an app, give it to your client to hand install on their device is to either do a development build or an AdHoc build. In both cases you need the UDID of their test devices. Once you have that, you will go onto the provisioning profile and add their devices. Then you need to update either a development or AdHoc provisioning profile that includes their devices. Once you have that provisioning profile, you download that, install it into the profile directory on your Mac and build your app.

There is no way around this.

me7

Thanks, both replies are helpful.

Regarding device provisioning, it sure is inflexible, but I guess I don't have a choice.

As for iOS version, I was under the impression the latest XCode 3 release supports iOS 4.3 - I downloaded xcode_3.2.6_and_ios_sdk_4.3.dmg. Or do I *have* to download XCode 4? (That would require an OS upgrade.)

Like I said, it actually seems to produce a working app already, the issue is just that I get that weird validation message (and I did try explicitly setting min iOS version to 4.3 in build.settings).

husam.sarris
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

I just got the same warning!

I built my app on Corona build 704 last march, I was using a Snow Leopard mac.

recently, I upgraded my Mac to Mountain lion, and my Corona to build 971,
I tried to re-build my app, and I got the same error!

(warning: iPhone/iPod Touch: application executable is missing a required architecture. At least one of the following architecture(s) must be present: armv6 (-19033)
)

Should I change the provisioning profiles?
Where should I look?

I tried the "Minimum Version" thing and it didn't work!

Any ideas??

husam.sarris
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline

of course, I'm using the latest XCode (4.5.2).

Regards,
Husam,

http://www.HusamSarris.com/

Viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.