Welcome to inneractive

227 replies [Last post]

Replies

robmiracle
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

if (storyboard.pageViews % storyboard.showAfter) == 0 then
                inneractive.Show()
        end

That block of code is to make sure I only get ads every X number of screens.

In the simulator, I get your fake ad and I get the count down timer and then a Tap to Continue . On device I get the count down timer and the Tap to continue. In face here are screen shots:

and

I'll try your suggestion though I'm very certain your Show call s being called. I just don't see any ads. I see them register at inneractive though.

KenRogoway
User offline. Last seen 1 year 24 weeks ago. Offline

@robmiracle,

Yes, I knew it was to display them every 'n' frames, but you said you didn't see anything other than a white screen. You didn't say you were getting my count down, or the Tap to Continue.

Luciane had a similar issue where it ran, but she never saw ads on the device. Below is what her issue was, but that doesn't mean it is your issue. Just trying to narrow things down.

"Problem solved. Thank you all who tried to help.
I knew it would be something silly in the end. The computer used to do the build had not been upgraded to the version of Corona that supports inneractive."

I suspect you are not connected via wifi, or there is some lag pulling the ad image down. You can easily determine if it is a network issue, by adding your own "default" ad. If the network test fails, it will display the image you provide instead. This is useful for debugging the network issues.

robmiracle

I'm running build 726. I'm about 3 daily's behind.

If I call ad.show() directly I get inneractive's ads, just the skip doesn't work most of the time.

I'm on WiFi.

KenRogoway

@robmiracle,

Can you make a minimal app that shows this and send it to me? I'll debug it and figure out why it doesn't work for your situation.

Ken@HomebrewSoftware.com

robmiracle

Sample project inbound.

KenRogoway

For people following this thread, Rob's sample worked here. I am working with him to figure out what may be different about his set up.

hudson.graham
User offline. Last seen 2 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks for sorting this all out KenRogoway...

Just a quick note: I was getting hide() called 3 times when I tapped the screen, once I was able to skip. I just removed the line adInfo.backImage:addEventListener( "touch", adSkipListener ) as below...

adInfo.backImage:addEventListener( "tap", adSkipListener )
    --adInfo.backImage:addEventListener( "touch", adSkipListener )

... and now it seems to be working correctly.
Have I done something wrong here KenRogoway?

orly
User offline. Last seen 48 weeks 9 hours ago. Offline

Hey Rob and everyone,

I am hearing you load and clear and though I may not be responding to every thread here right away - I read all of them and pass the issues to our support team.
Let me address some of your concerns:
1. Fill rate - as you may know January is always the lowest month in the year for advertising and marketing. As all the advertising budget was spent in 2011 for all the companies - January is the month when companies work on new advertising and marketing budget and running very little campaigns. Hence the fill rate every where has dropped. In February and on - you will be able to see the regular fill rates that we usually offer and great blitz campaigns with high CPC.

2. It is great to see how the community here is helping one another and I believe that this is the asset of Corona. However, in order to assist you better with tech/support issues PLEASE email them to me orly[at]inner-active[dot]com.
This way - I have control over the bugs/issues and their status.

3. Black bars on Android apps - we have been looking into this issue for a while. There is an ad-network for Android that is not sending us the banners in the correct size and we are working to resolve their integration with us.

This forum is great and we learn a lot and keep getting better. We all want to supply you guys with the best ads and high FR and eCPM and we can do this with your help.

Notify me when you see adult content (with exact specifics like device, time, IP, URL). Let me know of bugs and issues during the integration and I can assure you that I will do the best to assist you all :)

Thank you for the understanding
Orly

KenRogoway

@hudson,

It's fine to take that out. I was just making sure to catch both tap and touch events in case you had something behind the full screen ad background that also listened for touch events.

wunderwuzzi
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline

Hey KenRogoway,
This is super awesome and thanks for sharing! One thing that I thought might be a great addition is to link off to a full version of the game in displayDefaultAd function with something like this:

adImage:addEventListener( "touch", adDefaultClick )
        adInfo.group:insert(free)

and then go off to the Marketplace for the version without ads when the user clicks on the defaultAdImage.

Some folks don't have cell connection (e.g. Kindle Fire users) and those might not create a lot of ad revenue. Showing them this with a link to click on for the ad-free version might be something to explore to create awareness that there is an ad-free version.

--wunderwuzzi

KenRogoway

@wunderwuzzi,

That's a great idea!

KenRogoway

Everyone,

Rob Miracle asked me this question, so I thought I'd share the answer.

"Shouldn't the call to show the ads in your cInneractive module pass in 'fullscreen' instead of 'banner'?"

The answer is NO. The entire point of this module was to provide a work around for the current hang that happens about 50% of the time when using full screen ads.

Once Ansca fixes this bug, there will be no need for my example.

robmiracle

The reason I asked Ken the question was Orly's comment earlier:

"Another reason why we are pushing full screen ads is because by the end of Q1 we are going to implement the rich media ads in the full screen ads. These ads generate much higher eCPM - http://blog.inner-active.com/2011/09/inneractive-goes-interactive-with-10-global-rich-media-mobile-ad-partners/"

I don't know if its the case now, but a full screen ad should always drive a higher eCPM. Yes, you will be getting a higher Click-thru rate and its still a CPC industry (cost per click) which is more revenue, but interstitial ads have always paid better than banners, medium rectangles and button ads.

So before I push an app that may only show 2-3 ads per run, they have to count. I'm going to email Orly to get the low down on this.

KenRogoway

@robmiracle,

I totally understand what you are saying. However, until Ansca fixes the fullscreen ads we have NOTHING we can do unless you are willing to have your app hang 50% of the time.

Naomi
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 9 min ago. Offline

I tried to get a first-hand experience of skip-button-not-working issue, but it's never happened with my game in development. I've generated AdHoc build, played and seen a couple dozen fullscreen ads between levels today (and much more since I implemented the fullscreen ads), but I've never come across a case where skip button failed to appear or not to work.

Unless I do see it as a real problem for my game, I do not want to add the safety measure that Ken has graciously shared with us. So... I'm not entirely sure what to do.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the skip-button-not-working issue? If there's a specific reason for it, and if I'm not triggering it (because I don't need it in my game), perhaps that's why I haven't seen this issue with my game...

Naomi

Edit: I'm using daily build 706 (and Director 1.4, if it matters).

robmiracle

Ken seems to be a Director based programmer and he's having problems. But in my experience, I have full page ads working in a Director based app (though I used to have problems in Director... but not lately...) but my storyboard based app has been a 100% fail so far. Now my pages are based on the storyboard template that has a background touch handler active and I don't know if that's interfering with me or not.

KenRogoway

@robmiracle,

Our latest app uses storyboards instead of director. We are seeing a lockup about 50% of the time.

I've used director for most of my examples because that's what a lot of people have used for shipped titles.

Naomi
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 9 min ago. Offline

Hi Ken & Rob, thank you for your comments. It almost sounds like the issue is triggered when inneractive fullscreen ads are shown when an app uses storyboard API for scene changes. It's good to know.

Thanks again!
Naomi

KenRogoway

@Orly,

Is there any chance that Inneractive can extend their Corona "special" where you provide 100% of the ad revenue for a month? This deal ends today, but since Ansca hasn't resolved the hang that happens when using full screen ads we have held off on submitting our app.

Thanks,

Ken

thinkpozzitive
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 7 hours ago. Offline

Does anyone know the following:
1. when calling ads.show(), is the operation asynchronous or not? (because when that call is made, I'm seeing framerate dropping to zero for about 1-2 seconds) - this only happens when show() is called for the first time within the app.
2. first time show() is called, while using a banner ad type, a screen flicker happens (white background), and for a second or so, half the screen is covered by a white rectangle, after which the ad appears correctly and within the appropriate dimensions.
3. While on 3G network only (on wi-fi I do get ads), all ads appear as white slim rectangles - if this is a fill miss issue, why are they displayed at all?

Issue can be reproduced with the demo sample app as well (maybe 1 would be harder to notice, so just add a timer with a 1 second count, and display the text - you'll see it skipping 1-2 second values)

If any of you have had previous experience with any of the above, and are aware of workarounds, or pending bug fixes, please let me know.

Thank you.

underwaterdiver
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Great post. Can you share the updated .lua file with the rest of us and please post it?

Thanks,
richard

cbartlett
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Please can you find a way around the adult content issue, I've had a couple of bad android reviews because of this recently. I don't mind if it means a drop in fill rate, I just don't want to serve up those ads on apps I have marked as 12-17 age group.

KenRogoway

@underwaterdiver,

Who are you referring to? What code do you want posted?

wunderwuzzi
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline

@cbartlett and orly

I selected "Age Group: All" and "Category: All" when creating the App on the inneractive dashboard. Since I specified "Age Group: All" I assumed that it's filtering out adult content. Is that not true? My game is for kids, so I don't want anything weird.

--wunderwuzzi

underwaterdiver
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Ken,

I'm referring to your post #47 where you sent @Orly updated code for your cInneractive Wrapper Class. After looking at my post I can see it doesn't refer to the post I was replying too. I'll have to keep that in mind next time. Chagrin.

Who am I?
Just a guy wanting to do something totally awesome like write an awesome app.

I'm hoping apple approves my submission this week.

I only started last September with Corona after 2 grueling months with Xcode.

I signed up for inneractive last month and am at the point to wrap my brain around it and am reading through this blog and found your contribution quite kool (among others).

You, among a few others, really seem to know your stuff and I enjoy reading the things a group of you have been contributing to the community. Very selfless and kind and it's most appreciated.

Everyday I learn more and sometimes it seems like it's hard just to keep up with all the changes. But change is good and what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Not to leave out many wonderful people out there but it's really enjoyable to read you, rob miracle and Peach. You guys are awesome contributors.

Thanks. Do you mind posting the updated cInneractive Wrapper Class code?
Or you could email it. richard@wetbluepix.com

Again, Thanks.
Richard

KenRogoway

Email sent.

Eric Akbar
User offline. Last seen 23 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Well last night my little home-brewed puzzle/physics game was approved by Apple. It too is a free game with Inneractive banner ads. I'm set for a 30s refresh rate, and the banner is up the entire time the player plays the game

Although it's been only 12 hours now, I wanted to share the results with everyone because I think it's important for people to know what to expect, and -hopefully- to share experiences so we all can have more realistic expectations.

Since someone else posted stats in this thread, I thought I'd post mine from the first ~12 hours with Inneractive banner ads. (This is iPhone/iPad only!)

Impressions: 1626
Fill Rate: 99.026% (Nice!)
Clicks: 22
CTR: 1.353%
eCPM: $0.13
Revenue: $0.21

In the US, which I would expect to be among the most lucrative markets, 836 impressions received a whopping 7 clicks! (0.84% CTR)

So the fill rate is there and I congratulate Inneractive on that. However, the eCPM is so far from what Inneractive promises on one of their pages, that it's a bit disheartening to say the least. I read somewhere on their site about a 3x higher eCPM then some other service (was it inMobi, I forget), which was stated as a $1 eCPM average.

Being ~15x short of that claim is a bit troubling to say the least. I didn't expect to get rich or even live off a single relatively simple game, but at ~ $0.42 a day on the critical first month I will probably not even get to the threshold where I actually get paid a dime by Inneractive. I hope things vastly improve the next few days, and I'll definitely be back to update my experiences.

So far I'm underwhelmed. I guess I will have to update quickly with a full-page ad thrown in somewhere and see if that improves things a bit.

Thanks to Orly for the open communication, and I hope I'll be able to write a better review of my experiences in the near future! :)

@RSCdev
User offline. Last seen 1 year 28 weeks ago. Offline

@Eric - I`ve been speaking about the same subject as you by some time now and also all clicks my Inneractive`s Ads gets, it is only worth 0.01c or even 0.00c! o.O

Will it CHANGE Inneractive?

Thanks,

orly

Hey Eric,

Thank you for sharing your results with us.
Can you please provide me the full name of your app so I will be able to download it from AppStore and check it out.

At the current stage of your app - 1620 ad requests is not enough to analyze the results.

Feel free to contact me via email for further investigation and APS help - orly[at]inner-active[dot]com

Eric Akbar

The app is called TowerTopplr Light:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/towertopplr-light/id499536205?mt=8

I just looked at the stats again now, and even though the clicks have climbed to 30 (*chuckle*) the revenue has only barely moved to $0.22. So like 8 clicks generated 1 cent of revenue?

eCPM is down to $0.11 on 2040 impressions.

I understand and agree that it's not even been 24 hours and it's too early to draw conclusions, but perhaps understandably I'm in nail-biting mode! On one hand I'm baffled & delighted that people in 41 countries have already downloaded my app, but I'm also a bit taken aback by the extremely low eCPM.

Please note the game is entirely a 1 person effort, and I'm more of a programmer then an artist! :)

Thanks for the quick reply Orly. Maybe it's just the time of day, or a bad day, but maybe I also did something wrong and I guess that's why I'm posting to compare with others.

Eric Akbar

Well it's been a couple more days, and it looks like I won't be quitting my day job! ;-)

I said I'd be back to update everyone on the statistics, and that's what I'm here to do. This game of mine looks like it's going to be a big flop, which is OK as it is my very first game ever and had near zero investment outside of Corona & App Store fees. I did this first one mostly to test the waters and learn a few things, but with 20/20 hind-sight I'm guessing both the game and the GFX weren't all that appealing.

Despite the apps poor showing though, I still think the ad-supported idea is coming up short with Inneractive. Even if I had a much much more popular & professional game, I can't imagine that would change much about the kinds of advertisements shown, the number of clicks those ads generate per impression, and the lacking revenue generated by those clicks.

Here are the stats for roughly 4 days worth of data:

Requests: 9456
Impressions: 9151
Fill Rate: 96.775%
Clicks: 131
CTR: 1.42%
eCPM: $0.15
Revenue: $1.35

It's pretty clear that the ads are failing to interest people, and that the revenue per click is barely over 1 penny, which seems pretty low. Reading about $2-$3 eCPMs quite frankly makes me chuckle; that would be $18-$27 revenue in my (probably worst) case, instead of $1.35. Even that would still a far cry from actually getting paid a dime, but certainly would be motivating enough to try a more professionally done game.

Thanks everyone, I hope this info will help some people decide on their revenue model!

Cheers!
Eric Akbar

Edit: I do want to say that Corona SDK is working beautifully though! I've not had a single reported technical/support issue on over 1000 installations. A few people even seem to be enjoying the game playing 30 minutes or more...very few though. :(

KenRogoway

@Eric,

Unless you are going to have a huge number of daily active users (DAU) you won't make money off the ad revenue. Figure you need a minimum of 500,000 DAU. Some (read very few) games are doing this.

The best way to make money is to be a Freemium title. No ads, full game play, but with lots of ways to encourage the player to make in-app purchases. Even a modestly successful Freemium app will do well enough to recoup your costs.

I was going to re-release our app as a free title with ads, but given that the #1 issue with the Inneractive ads (hangs 50% of the time for fullscreen ads) has not been addressed, nor even responded to, it makes it difficult to choose Inneractive as a ad based solution.

Based on your data, even if the fullscreen hang is fixed, ad revenue is not a viable choice for most apps.

@Ansca/@Orly,

Any idea when the fullscreen ad hang will be fixed? It's been a month since we reported it.

@Orly,
Any word on removing those Adult ads? All it takes is ONE adult ad to a blogger or vocal person and you can literally have your app removed or see a large decrease in sales.

This wouldn't be an issue with iAd, but since we are relying on Inneractive to filter those we either don't use ads, or need Inneractive to do a better job filtering the ads.

Eric Akbar

@Ken,

I absolutely agree with you. It's not that I didn't realize it was unlikely to make any significant revenue off ads, especially off a game I didn't expect to be a smash hit, but that it was this bad is still a bit shocking.

I kinda expected to at least hit the mark where I get paid anything at all, but to say that this now seems "unlikely" would be a vast understatement. :)

I also agree with you also on the model you suggest Ken, it seems to be the only viable model for indies at least.

Flop or not, I'm still delighted by the fact that I'm at over 1k downloads in more then 50 countries. I'm just not quitting my day job anytime soon! :)

Thanks for your advice Ken!

rmbsoft
User offline. Last seen 17 min 35 sec ago. Offline

Can somebody from Inneractive explain me why i have several clicks in my report, and the revenue is still $ 0.00?

My ads are running for 10 hours now, and i already have 6 clicks without revenue.

Plus some other combinations like 2 clicks , revenue $ 0.01.

So sometimes even when you get a click, you won't even get paid for it!

Maybe InnerActive is not that great lol.

I have 3700 Impressions, 63 clicks, a CTR of 1.701% and the total is a whopping $ 0.77.

With that rate i might get my $200 when im ready to retire in 20 years :)

Eric Akbar

Yeah I had the same issue, not all clicks generate revenue it seems.

You can see that clicks in the US tend to pay more then in some other countries such as China, but I got a much better CTR there too. Either those ads were more appealing to the user base there, or Chinese people click more on ads! :)

I remember the first couple of clicks I ever got were paying $0.04 a click. Now I'm barely above a penny.

I think that these ads promoting other apps, which seem to be most of the ads I am getting the past few days, simply aren't paying as much ( maybe nothing at times) then the obviously more brand-name ads.

I hear ya on retirement before reaching $200! :)

open768
User offline. Last seen 41 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi thinking of using the inneractive API using native webview to roll my own ads due to lack of control on the corona library.

Has anyone done this before I go and reinvent the wheel?

what I want to do is

- Keep the ad upright in relation to the orientation of the device (cant see how to do this in the corona API)
- display the ad when I want to see it rather than seconds after its requested
- have a skip button visible onscreen
- be able to preview in simulator exactly as it would appear on device.

Cheers

KenRogoway
open768

Neat :-) good start though I actually want to show the real ad in the simulator too. And have better control over the Ad size - Using the server API inner-active provide

M2M_Server-to-Server_Protocol_Definition_V_1_5_3

This document describes the protocol for partners to connect to the inneractive system, retrieving optimized ads for mobile devices.

I'll post back here when I have something in a day or so :-)

KenRogoway

@open768,

So you are bypassing the Corona ads system entirely? Interesting approach.

One big benefit is you can make the ad a corona display image and then size it properly. Despite what Orly has said about the Ad Industry standard, a lot of the ads that come through do not conform and if you have set aside a specific portion of your display for ads and then get something over sized it looks really bad.

I look forward to seeing what you are able to put together.

Eric Akbar

Sounds neat, I'm looking forward to seeing this as well.

Still though, unless you're pretty certain that you have a title on your hands that will be downloaded 100's of thousands of times, I don't see the ad-supported model being viable. I am up to over 27k impressions, with only 369 clicks, revenue of under $5, and a eCPM of $0.17.

In comparison, I also launched a premium version of my app a couple of weeks later (wish I had done that first!) and have sold over 100 copies at $0.99.

Regardless of how unimpressive that is overall, it's still 14x the revenue of the ad-supported version, and perhaps I would have sold many more copies if I had not offered a free version first.

They are essentially the same, just without adds and other minor perks. I launched the paid version mostly as an after-thought to give people the option to run without ads, and surprisingly it worked out far better then I had expected.

So in hind-sight, for the next release I will try this approach:
- launch a $0.99 premium version first and let it ride for a few weeks
- then launch a free version with ads
- both versions will have in-app purchase content (also disabling ads for anyone who has made a purchase)

Most of all though, you have to find ways to stay on the radar, especially after that first month. I think that is the most difficult part for independent developers, even when you have a very good game/app. With the flood of new apps hitting the app-stores every single day, it's incredibly hard to diffentiate yourself and remain visible.

You really have to form some alliances with other developers to cross-advertise each-others games, do the circuit on the web sites dedicated to reviewing & featuring games, etc.

Eric

@RSCdev
User offline. Last seen 1 year 28 weeks ago. Offline

@Erik,

Thanks for sharing your own thoughts.

I appreciate that. :)

Cheers,
Rodrigo.

open768

Nearly there, except the SDK is giving me a house Ad - anyone had any luck with the inneractive m2m api?

local sUrl = 
        "http://m2m1.inner-active.com/simpleM2M/clientRequestAd"..
        "?v=Sm2m-1.5.3"..
        "&aid="..self.applicationID..
        "&po=559"..
        "&w="..screen_width..
        "&h="..screen_height

local sResponse = http.request(sUrl)

I suspect that if I get a house ad I should use the client ID in the response to get a real ad. The response I get at the moment is.

<tns:Response Error="House Ad"        
  <tns:Client Id="5655329324"/>
  <tns:Ad>
    <tns:Text>Live and Work in the USA!</tns:Text>
    <tns:URL>http://m2m1.inner-active.com/simpleM2M/ClientUpdateStatus?
cn=blah&oi=1&v=Sm2m-1_5_3&ci=5655329324
&s=723571558&ed=2-5-4-1&cip=94-192-106-22&po=559&re=4&lt=0</tns:URL>
    <tns:Image>http://cdn1.inner-active.mobi/mnt/InnerActive/Resources/USAGC/320
x53_eng_pic.gif</tns:Image>
  </tns:Ad>
</tns:Response>

interestingly my router web interception tells me that the ads that the API is getting uses a different API

wv.inner-active.mobi/simpleM2M/clientRequestWVBannerOnly?
aid=blah&po=559&v=2.0.1-Android-.0.4&hid=352961041649523&
t=1329868577591&w=600&h=1024&cid=4964279714

cbartlett

Anyone had payment from inneractive yet? 68 days from the end of December passed sometime last week, but I've not had anything yet?

orly

Hey cbartlett,

The payment is issued 68 days after the end of the month for which you have passed $200 in revenues.
Developers who earned $200 in the month of December received their payment on the 8th of March.

Feel free to ping me with more questions.

cbartlett

Hi Orly,
Thanks for getting back to me.
I passed $200 in December, and had an email confirming this, my payment (paypal) details are also up to date and have been for some time, who should I contact for payment?

cbartlett

Just received payment! not sure if that was a coincidence or you made it happen, either way I'm very grateful. Many thanks.

orly

hhhh I am just about to write to you that the payment was transferred on the 8th of March and send you the transaction certification.
In any case, you are welcome and I am happy that all is sorted out.

mwlake08
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Full Screen ad Landscapeleft skip FAIL

Orly or someone with a solution:

After searching through the forums I still haven't found a solution for the Interactive Full screen "landscapeleft" Skip problem.

A full screen ad appears on my app everytime a user loads the apps main menu. My app uses only Landscapeleft orientation because I utilize the accelerometer during game play and I don't want the screen orientation to change while playing.

My last build using 767 didn't solve the issue where the ad appears in Landscapeleft orientation and the user has to change orientation to one other than Landscapeleft to be able to touch the word skip to leave the ad screen and get back to the app. Obviously this causes an aggrevation to the user.

Please advise as to what the solution is.

robmiracle

Have you filed a bug report?

This also happens with the back button after clicking on ads too.

Create a simple test case where it fails and submit a bug report. The more samples Ansca has, the better their chance to track it down. It's a challenging program. I bundled up my app and had someone else try it. Their skip never fails yet it always fails on my iPhone 4.

KenRogoway

@mwlake08/@robmiracle,

I've reported it on a number of occasions. However, now that I am one of the Corona Ambassadors I was able to report this to my Ansca contact directly. I did that last night, and it has been handed over to the Ansca staff.

Ansca definitely wants to get this resolved and enable developers to generate ad revenue using Inneractive.

Hopefully we should hear something soon.

Ken

Viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.