View recent posts | Search forum topics
This is great ! Thanks Danny for getting this going.
We are going to ship new bits next week. After that, I will give my state of the Corona address, and address some of your highly requested features.
Game Center without Open Feint support is high on our list and I take full responsibility for not having it done sooner.
Monetization and app discovery have bene our highest priorities.
Stay tuned for the "State of the Corona Union" after we ship next week.
+ Add Text Alignment ( left, center, right) parameter to newRetinaText()
display.newRetinaText( [parentGroup,] string, left, top, [width, height,] font, size, alignment )
The man himself has spoken :)
Keep the top 5 most wanted features (by you guys) coming, either from the list or not on the list. And the votes will be tallied as said previously.
1. Native Game Center
2. Improved joints
3. Email attachments
4. Improvements to Physics API (friendlier collisions, etc.)
5. Cheaper subscription prices :)
1) Fix the issues with widgets library. Add a few more widgets (like on/off switches)
2) Add some basic options to Map function (like ability to change marker image, touch listner on marker etc.)
3) Add more ad service providers like inner-active which offers ads from more than 1 network. I'd love to see Mobclix.
4) Improvements in physics engine.
5) More partners in app discovery area.
1) Secure (TLS/SSL) Network Sockets (not just HTTPS)
2) In App Purchase - Android
3) Push (APNS Client)
4) Improved Cross Platform Widgets (beyond current beta)
5) Email Attachments
6) Native Code Integration (e.g. Objective-C for iOS)
#1 has become a show stopper for one of my projects. I am assuming it just requires integration with the existing LuaSec package.
1) Android IAP
2) Apple Push Notification
3) Stand alone GameCenter
4) 2.5D Image Transforms
5) Better audio performance
1/ Android in app purchases (I know of a work around, but have held off waiting for what becomes the Corona default)
2/ Improved and updated Box2d support. Please not frame tied physics, we have to hack around this to get different devices to behave anything like similar (try double 100+% speed difference on across devices).. Come on, free up the physics engine.. You know you want to.. Unleash the beast.
3/ Android & iOS push notifications (Call it what you want on either platform, but it is essentially the same thing from an end users point of view and is needed on both platforms)
4/ more graphics functions - modify bitmaps in memory (borrowed from someone else's list, but nice)
5/ Native code extension would be nice too, though I understand why you would not want to do this from a commercial point of view.
1. Android Mapview support
2. Get directions in MapView
3. Better HTML5 support in WebPopup
4. Page Curl support
5. Better UI for Community forum.
1. Native Game Center.
4. Page Curl support - what do you mean by Page Curl support? Is iOS SDK or Android SDK has such functionality?
I did such test app in Corona but app send request on my server where PHP Curl start work and return request as JSON.
1. Native and full support for GameCenter(all sdk gamekit exposed will be great)
- Needed direct access to leaderboards to show player rank in-game (to compare with a live ranking)
- Access to friends ranking of same game.
- Needed direct link to GC leaderboards
2. Shaders and blend modes. To add customs HSLS files for screen post-processing effects (for example a simple openGL black&white shader). Also custom blend modes and full control on groups to add it.
3. Native Particle System. In addition to blend and shaders, a native and fast particle system to avoid LUA calculations of 20, 50, 100 particles on screen.
4. Better shape graphic options (Curves, polyshapes, deformed rectangles) and 2.5D controls for perspective and distort images.
5. Better control of Box2D. (framelock , etc)
Also, i don't know if it would be possible to add our own Objective C modifications (add-ons for corona SDK). Ok, is fairly complicated, but it would be a great upgrade to take advantage of third party code libraries translated to Corona SDK.
I think by page curl, he means the visual effect of a page turning like the book app uses.
@jose2 great features gathered in one place! But lot's of them can't be done to iOS and Android in one style I'm afraid.
I'm strictly iOS because from my experience Android Market sux. Users don't buy paid apps and ads revenue is low.
My dream is 2 SEPARATE CoronaSDK version where iOS version has all iOS SDK features but when it's not possible from company / marketing reason I just buy Objective-C book.
iOS 5 SDK bring so much delicious things! :)
BTW. CoronaSDK needs OpenGL goodies because right now start to loosing in compare to HTML5 Canvas:
and WebGL with full support of OpenGL 2.0 features is rising star.
I know @gtatarkin, but some features i think needs to be exposed, at least to iOS, like GameCenter and Shaders. I see a lot of games like doodle jump or push panic with live-rank in-game, and i think cant be difficult to expose it to lua. A simple function that now can be called from gamekit or openfeint sdk. Gamecenter is a must for a game, and need better support from corona SDK
Also a particle system like cocos2d is needed to create good effects without create X calls to gameloop lua functions, like transition.to works to move a graphic.
. What do you think?
@jose2 native GameCenter is "must have" feature ASAP. BTW. Look how easy is creating particle system in iOS5:
You can move 10000 particles without preformance hit. I love Particle Candy but it play with LUA so preformance is poor. There is no way to build good liquid physics right now, there is no way to build true 2.5D transitions because preformance hit. You can do it:
but just as proof of concept and not usefull feature.
Exactly. A way to move thousand of particles without perfomance hit. I use also particle candy and works great, but perfomance gets down with a little number of particles because moves all with LUA.
Also HSLS shaders will be very easy to implement just like in cocos2d and you can achieve great effects without perfomance hit (a simple blur to call a pause game for example).
1. antialias = false,... that works ... or I mean to say one that works with .pngs! It would reduce the space required for my pixel game x4. It is a waste that I have to store scaled up images of pixel art so that they do not become blurred out.
or as Don for Spriteloq puts it, 'allow the option of nearest pixel matching for scaling. It would do away with a lot of the blurriness people are seeing with their images.'
(sorry Don, I quoted you...you have a better way with words than I do.)
1. Improved transitions: pause/resume methods <- I'd actually love to see something more generic than the current system
2. OpenGL shader support
3. On-device debugging
4. Improved Text Fields
5. Access to bitmap data
For me it would be:
The lack of maps for android is stopping me from becoming a subscriber right now.
I can see a definite trend in what is being asked for.
There seems to be a fairly big omission in the candidate list:
Support for Android Application Licensing: http://developer.android.com/guide/publishing/licensing.html
If you publish a paid app in the Android Market without this (or "copy protection" which has some undesirable limitations) it will be distributed without authorisation in several Chinese app stores, meaning you will not receive any revenue when your paid app is downloaded from these stores.
+1 Android in-app purchase
+1 Android Application licensing support
+1 improved pause / resume support
Formatted text. Please. Some way to output wrapped, formatted text blocks. Pretty much what we can do in HTML would be great.
+1 on Formatted Text. The ability to use italics and underline would be nice.
1. Better debugging, on device debugging/upload
2. On device profiling
(More API oriented:)
3. More widget stuff, standard GUI is very important for non-game apps
4. Vertex/pixel shaders (OK, guess this may require OGLES 2.0 path if old OGLES is used atm)
5. Level/GUI editor
According to Danny this thread should close tomorrow, so anyone else wanting to add their thoughts should do so soon. Really looking forward to seeing the final tally...
1. A published roadmap which list what features Ansca is committed to developing. This should include target dates and be updated when plans change.
2. Game Center
3. Better ad choices. Ads that don't cause an app to slow down or crash. Ads that work as documented (if you run the sample code provided by the add company you should see ads). Ads that give the app developer control over the size and placement of the ads.
4. Any performance improvements.
5. Bluetooth support.
1.) Drop the price-tags! Corona is a good product, but other companies are hunting you closely and advertising with lower prices..
2.) At long last, contrive a Player for instant device testing, like Gideros Mobile did! A Player that can run your code instantly on the device over wifi, without the need of the deploy process (build->install->run)! Forget about crappy "Corona Remote", "rCorona" and what not.
With that you wouldn't have problems with the provisioning files, discussed over and over in the forum. You would also gain a lot more subscribers and new users! Dead sure!
3.) Better Debugger. Maybe integrated somehow into Corona App? .. and IDE? Surprise us.
Especially the second is my big fav+ since I've tested it with Gideros. You should hurry with this.
Not in a specific order:
Improvements to Physics API (friendlier collisions, etc.)
System capabilities API
Add "2.5d" image transforms
Access to bitmap data
1. AdMob or adWhirl
2. Game Center
3. Time-based physics
5. Improvements to Corona debugger
What about providing a command line interface for building apps?
This would save all of us hours of time performing builds not to mention the time saved by less mistakes for things like mistyping version numbers or package names...
Surely this is actually very low effort since I'm assuming Ansca does this internally?
I'd love to see command line building, it's such a small thing, but it would enable better integration into IDEs, testing, versioning, tools. I think the entire development ecosystem would really blossom if we had that.
1- Game Center
2- Physics Improvements
Android C2DM (Cloud To Device Messaging) since we now have iOS Push Notifications.
I hope this doesn't turn into a Android map view scenario.... I have a hard time explaining why Google Maps isn't available on a Google Phone.
Was there ever a summary of the most requested features or an updated roadmap based on this thread published?
Really want to know if my requested feature is being considered or not.
Here it is.
1. MapView support (Android)
Glad to see it's being worked on!
Inneractive (fullscreen ads) - please allow us to set the background color/alpha where the fullscreen ads are to be displayed.
Before the fullscreen banner ads are loaded on screen, a solid-white covers up the entire screen, long enough for users to think that the game has crashed and possibly press home button to exit the game before ads ever show up on screen. I suspect the delay/load time would even be longer when the real fullscreen ads are deployed (which is, apparently, scheduled to occur in a couple of weeks).
If the background is transparent (rather than solid-white), we could display something nice while the ads are being loaded, making it a much better experience. If not transparent, but if we could at least set the background color, the experience wouldn't be as disruptive and jarring.
I hope this isn't too hard to implement...
+1 to cleaning up the Inneractive API (and ads in general)
+1 to cleaning up the Inneractive API
Specifically please return the ad width, height when we call ads.show(). Even better, fix the full screen ad so it doesn't hang the app 50% of the time.
+1 In-App Purchase for Android
+1 Better Inneractive API
For my needs it would be most important to be able to predictably set the size of banner ads.
+1 on improvements to inneractive....
Are you seeing a strong trend here? Please clean up Inneractive ads.
>>Corona's current debugger is so outdated that it's almost always less time-consuming to use print statements. <<
+100 to that.
Its taken me 6 weeks to notice that one even existed, and now that I found it, its like being back in 1979.
I love being able to build for iPad. But I so want to be able to single step..
1. In-App Purchase support for Android
2. Push Notifications
4. Google Analytics
5. Improvements to Physics API (friendlier collisions, etc.)
I have 3 MUST-HAVE features for Corona.
1) Update Corona to latest Box2D engine.
2) Update Corona to latest Box2D engine.
3) Update Corona to latest Box2D engine.
I'd love to see Camera objects overlays (video, camera).
I hope I haven't missed these as existing features.
- Text and object drop shadow
- Filters like overlay, multiply, subtract
Basically just some of the stuff Flash already does. Although if I had to guess, I'd imagine that type of thing is very processor intensive...
You can actually already mask objects:
Hah! Thanks for the link. =)