FusePowered

New Corona Game Development Book Announced

63 replies [Last post]

Replies

Sid T
User offline. Last seen 39 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Michelle,

First off, congratulations on your upcoming book. Can you tell me if the book will cover some of the latest build features? Up to what daily builds did you include before the cutoff time to submit your book for printing? When will it be ready :)

Sid

Digital Farm
User offline. Last seen 28 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Michelle,

I'm excited about your book and have pre-ordered it from the UK website.

Do you know if I will be automatically alerted when it is published?

Are you still tracking for a release this month?

cheers,
bill

MobiDojo
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi Sid,

Thank you very much! For the most part the book will be compatible with the latest stable build since not every Corona user is a paid subscriber. I think it will be up to Build 2011.704. Going to try to include Storyboard API in the least which is great for understanding how to change scenes within an app.

Right now I'm still finalizing the book for print. The publisher's end is a little different so the date is from what I can see TBA.

Regards,
Michelle

MobiDojo

Hi Bill,

Excited to hear that you pre-ordered it. :) I'm not exactly sure how the alert system works when it is finally printed. That's pretty much on the publisher's end. Still trying to work as swiftly as I can with all the finalization so it can be good to go for everyone wanting to learn about game development in Corona. From what it looks like the date is TBA unlike what it says on Packt's website. I will have to inform them to update the release date so there is no confusion. Still, it's coming out no matter what. :)

Best,
Michelle

LakeviewHotel
User offline. Last seen 25 weeks 17 hours ago. Offline

@MobiDojo

Last I checked, packts release date set for mid may? Is that the exact date? I'm interested in this book, would it cover things not in online tutorials?

MobiDojo

@LakeviewHotel

Hello, sorry for the delayed reply. I'm working on getting the book released sooner than May. If all goes according to plan, it'll be released late March.

What I cover is basically a start to finish on how to create/submit a game in Corona SDK. This includes:

- Understanding the basics of Lua/Corona API's
- Code for game frameworks I created
- Submission through iOS App Store/Android Market (Google)
- IAP's through iOS
- Storyboard API

Those are a few things that will be in the book. Everything goes through a step by step process on how to do all those things and why I coded the way things are. It is mostly directed towards beginner's who have never programmed before and those who want to build gaming related applications. Hope that helps. Let me know if there are any questions.

Best,
Michelle
@chelleshock1219
@mobidojo

LakeviewHotel

@Mobidojo

When do you think the date will be in may?

Off topic. I sunk my teeth into some coding but don't have all the pieces to put it together. Got 60% of the graphics done.

MobiDojo

@LakeviewHotel

You will be glad to hear that it officially came out today! :) Worked really hard to push for an early release date before May. Glad it worked out.

Good that you have some graphics worked out. It'll make the visual aspect of your development easier.

newbie2013
User offline. Last seen 50 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Congrats, Michelle! Look forward to purchasing a copy soon.

MobiDojo

Thank you very much! Hope you enjoy it!

LakeviewHotel

Got a few backgrounds that look a little rough for main menu, couple stages, and instructions to how to play game. Right now I think I have at least 13 card images, but thought about reaching up to 20 for final game. Some of them look unpolished others look fine.

Mike V
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

A good book you say? What am I searching for? Are you allowed to put a link up for us interested parties? I love reading books. I have a few android books and have read them cover to cover. I dont want to use the Android SDK though. I would rather give Corona its cut and have all the boring leg work done hah. I will purchase a copy of if it looks good post haste!

Digital Farm
User offline. Last seen 28 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.