Android Build Response times

25 replies [Last post]
carlos m. icaza
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Alumni

Have you noticed how painfully slow it is to do an Android build?

We figured out the problem. We fixed it and improved build times by a factor of almost 10. But then it broke something else.

Why I am telling you that.

Because we found out what the issue is that causes the severe slow response times in our Android builds .... Now hopefully, once we have it resolved, we can introduce it to you guys and get faster response times.

Carlos

Replies

BenM
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Excellent.. I was just thinking about asking about this after the 10+ minute build for a simple test app.. :-)

awinograd
User offline. Last seen 3 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

How long should a build take?

MBD
User offline. Last seen 18 hours 59 min ago. Offline

I've been trying for an hour to get an Android build of my game. About 7am this morning I was able to build but now every build times out.

Tom
User offline. Last seen 1 day 2 hours ago. Offline
Staff

Are you still having problems? Android builds are working for me. We have a couple build servers and one may be having a problem.

Can you do an iOS build?

MBD

It's odd, I can't build when I include ogg sound files but with mp3 or caf it builds just fine. For now I'm switching my Android version to wav files.

MBD

And yes, IOS builds fine..

MBD

Nevermind, I still can't get Android to build. The build just freezes and I have to force quit to get it off the screen (after 5 minutes of waiting each time)

Tom
Staff

I'm confused. You first mentioned that you could build your Android project and now you can't and it's because of the sound files? How did that build before?

Do you see any error messages in the terminal when you do the build and it hangs?

You might want to check the build.settings file and make sure the Android section is correct. You could rename the file and try doing a test build to see if that is causing problems.

Also, check the app name and make sure there is no ASCII characters. It's best to use only alphanumeric characters in the name.

It would be good to understand what is causing the hang so we can fix it.

MBD

Here is what I did.
New app for iphone built and released into the app store fine.
I want to port an Android version, so I tried to just build for Android (knowing the ios caf sound files wouldn't play) but I wanted to see what would break.
The app built fine, but no sound - just as expected.

So I then converted all the caf files to oggs, it won't build.
I then tried converting the oggs to wav, it won't build.

So then I tried taking the sound engines out completely - still won't build.

I'm at a loss. Still trying a few things but it shouldn't be this hard. I've been developing with Corona over a year and this is the first real build issue I've had.

MBD

I still cannot build this for Android - I just changed all of my sound files to wav but the build just locks up and I have to force quit. Do you guys have any sort of logs or anything, the terminal log doesn't say anything helpful about why the build just goes off into cyberspace..

Tom
Staff

If you remove all the sound files, does it build?

Are you loading any sound files in subdirectories?

Does it build if you go back to .caf files?

If it hangs because of the sound files, I'm thinking the simulator is trying to build the apk and is getting hung up trying to include the files. The "Connecting to Server" message only goes away after the data is returned from the server and the app is built (locally) and signed.

If we can reproduce the problem, we can add a check for it in Corona and eliminate the hang.

MBD

It will build with caf files, won't build with wav or ogg.
No subfolders inside the app

I just copied the iOS folder again and made it into an Android version folder by pasting in my wav files and changing the sound code to match the suffix - no build..

MBD

When I remove all the audio files from the folder it builds. What now? I'm trying to include 128kbs mp3 file at 33k hz

Tom
Staff

I can build without any problems when I include MP3 or WAV files in my projects. Are you using 16-bit WAV files? Also, the 33 kHZ is an odd rate and may not work (devices generally support 22K and 44K).

Can you file a bug report and include one or two of your sound files. Can you generate a small sample app that also shows the problem?

Thanks,
Tom

MBD

I figured it out - just now.
After all day of banging my head against the wall, here was the problem.
My sound files names began with numbers.
1sound.mp3, 2sound.mp3, etc..

Worked fine in iOS, but the android build hated it I guess. So I changed some code around and named the files sound1.mp3, sound2.mp3, etc. and everything builds fine now.

What a waste of a day!

carlos m. icaza
Alumni

oh ****t - we have that documented that you can't start a file name with a 1 or java reserved words. somehow i thought you had that covered and i didn't jump in.

egad.

c.

carlos m. icaza
Alumni

Tom, one of my co-workers, just told me that the build process should have caught that and that's what I meant to say, the build system does catch for that and since it didn't i figured it was something else. so, looks like we may have a bug here somewhere.

glad though you figure it out after losing most of your hair (or what's left of it)

/JK :-)

carlos

MBD

I've actually used that method a few times before even in some older Android apps already published with no problems, and since the iphone version built and published fine in the app store I didn't even think of it until a bit ago.

I wish the terminal window would have at least logged it, but I got nothing but a hung building process. A simple "Files can't start with a number" error would have saved me some time..

Thanks for your help everyone!

Rich

Tom
Staff

We do have code to validate bad file names in Android but for some reason this didn't get caught. It should not allow you to do a build with an invalid name. I'll file a bug to get this fixed. Thanks for helping to resolve the problem.

test driver
User offline. Last seen 24 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

dont start your resource name in Cap-Characters

Tom
Staff

@MBD,

We made a number of fixes that address the Build "hang" problem on Mac and believe we have resolved the issue in the latest Daily Builds.

MobiDojo
User offline. Last seen 4 days 4 hours ago. Offline

I've been having the same "hang" problem on my Mac for Android builds and wondered why it was taking so long, but I will give it a shot with the new Daily Builds.

ALEXRAM109
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

hi Carlos, i have a problem, i hope you can helpme please, im trying to build an Android aplication but when im installing in my tablet it doesnt finish and show a message of error, what can i do...im trying to test some aplications (my aplications) but the ressult is the same...but when im trying to install something from the market or ipa downladed from internet they run...?.....another situation i have build an hello world aplication made with android whith netbenas(java) and it runs!!! but when i build with corona sdk it doesnt!!! please helpme.

carlos m. icaza
Alumni

@alexarm109

what device do you have? lets start there....

c

bluelistings
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

Hope we'll listen good news soon

Viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.