Update to the Android Update *** MUST READ ***

51 replies [Last post]
carlos m. icaza
User offline. Last seen 2 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Alumni

What would say if I were to tell you that we can get up to 4.5x the current performance of Android 2.2 with some proposed changes we have internally?

There is a tiny caveat.

Do you guys want up to 4.5x performance improvement on Android 2.2

A) Yes I want my games to run 4.5x faster and also include bug fixes.
B) No. I don't want my apps to run 4.5x faster. I just want bugs fixed.
C) Stop smoking the Colombian weed and get to work.
D) What's the caveat?
E) I want the 4.5x performance improvements I don't care the caveat.

Carlos

**** PLEASE NOTE **** 4.5x faster is subject to game logic and other elements running in your game. It is an internal benchmark test we noticed. Adding sound, hundreds of flying objects, collisions, large images, scrolling, sprites, particles, all other relevant game imaging and logic will decrease any performance on any hardware. But overall, performance should be a lot better than what it is now. Performance benchmarks are also affected by device, larger screen size and battery life, apps running in the background, plus a bunch of other things that we may not have any control over. Get it?

How is that for a disclaimer. I can just imagine the sort of emails if I don't put this disclaimer......

LOL !

Replies

JayantV
User offline. Last seen 1 week 3 days ago. Offline

I would love to have Android apps fly at 4.5x faster for 2.2 it will be wonderful, unless the caveat is that you cannot upload to a device ;)

Is the Option C any good, pass it around ;) till then I guess we can do with option E and two dollops of A and a topping of D

cheers,

Jayant C Varma

coynage
User offline. Last seen 2 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

A & C

khanh.dq
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 8 hours ago. Offline

Hi, Android 2.2 have build-in JIT engine and it can boot any application's performance, can't it?

carlos m. icaza
Alumni

What's a JIT engine?

Feedback

A
B
C
D
E

me.

khanh.dq
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 8 hours ago. Offline

:D google

A
B
C
D
E

it.

BeyondtheTech
User offline. Last seen 1 week 2 days ago. Offline

I'm always the person that questions everything.

D.

xdee
User offline. Last seen 33 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

OMG you guys just made my day :-) This is why I love Corona!
Thank you!

dweezil
User offline. Last seen 24 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

D

MikeHart
User offline. Last seen 23 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

D

ssinger

A

g.harrison
User offline. Last seen 1 week 6 days ago. Offline

D

stuville
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

A) Booyah! I am having a devil of a time with performance and my Android builds. Please get my head out of the Eclipse IDE and get this going.

C) Can't you do both?

D) You can have my first born.

E) See D

Stu

jayfrombk
User offline. Last seen 2 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

D

Obihoernchen
User offline. Last seen 3 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

You dont know what JIT is and you managed to develop a game engine? Not very professional.

Overall your whole post seems to be unprofessional.

"Do you guys want up to 4.5x performance improvement on Android 2.2"
What's that? You know Corona Android performance is very bad. Nearly every engine out there has better performance and they are free. In my opinion it was necessary to release such a bugfix weeks earlier!

Just my thoughts...

coderebelbase
User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline

almost E, but D

carlos m. icaza
Alumni

@obihoernchen: I think I know what JIT is. I looked it up. Is this what you are referring to?

http://bit.ly/gcVvHg

C.

slimboyfat
User offline. Last seen 28 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Carlos, it's this he is refering to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-in-time_compilation

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/05/dalvik-jit.html

It's a function in Android 2.2 And has nothing to do with you, it's rom-based and only works if the rom developer have add that functionality i belive.

And it doesn't mather if the APK build is for 2.1 or 2.2 so far JIT matters, it's how the OS on the phone works, not the APK. Just speculations but i think it works like that.

ssinger

LMAO !!!

Everyone is too serious :)

That is why I think I am in love with Carlos and Corona !!!

@carlos - I enjoyed the humor. Thank you, I needed that...

dweezil
User offline. Last seen 24 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

isn't JIT JustIn Timberlake?

Obihoernchen
User offline. Last seen 3 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

@carlos: You aren't able to get on with criticism, aren't you?

carlos m. icaza
Alumni

@Obihoernchen: ;-)

Of course I do. Just think of us as a bunch of pansies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x6nCvh3Opk#t=1m25s

Just please don't tell our co-founders I said that.

C.

ssinger

@Obihoernchen: I usually do not chime in but this community has probably the most experienced and seasoned "professionals" in the mobile industry...

And because Carlos is too smart to warrant a response to your comments... and he is the Owner (so, it makes no sense for him to respond to you)

THERE is a difference between constructive and condescending and your post was the latter :)

Of course, Carlos knows what JIT is and to also say he is unprofessional... The Corona product and Carlos' responsiveness is top in the industry and if you do not know that... then perhaps you be off to use another software product that suits your need for importance.

Just my $.02... help is on the way!

@Carlos, I know you do not need anyone to defend you but this got off topic since you just wanted a simple response to your question... hehe!

LONG LIVE CORONA!!!

MikeHart
User offline. Last seen 23 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

SSinger to the rescue! ROFL. SS, how long are you with Corona?

carlos m. icaza
Alumni

Gang, in a test we just ran in new integrated code that is about as old as ten minutes ago from the time I entered this, doing a prime number test, we went from 13921 ms to 1754ms.

Now how is that for p4mance increase.

C.

stuville
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

If you need to do some table view testing, I have a project that is simple and runs on iPhone, yet chokes on Android. ;)

carlos m. icaza
Alumni

@stuville : send. u have my email right? cicaza AT anscamobile DOT yo know what com

ne.hannah
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

How much slower is Android than iPhone build's right now, I have been testing only on Android and it seems even the most simple games slow down as soon as a touch is sensed. And I am not talking heavy game logic. I tried 5 different ways to reduce this fps drop but even at the minimal viable game play (1 animated object, 9 other objects moving via game loop 3 in background as "clouds") I still get a huge drop on a touch, and this is on a DroidX. I am going to grab a iphone dev account to test on a itouch but is this normal? I made another game that is a copy of this...http://www.mostaddicting.com/Addictive.html . The thing has 5 objects, 1 drag able the other 4 just bounce around. It's only maybe 200 lines of code and I wrote it to learn some lua, but it still drops fps to a freeze almost when u touch the object initially and it load no images?? BTW all these games run AWESOME on the emulator so it's not an error...

coderebelbase
User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline

Is this performance gain something available to subscribing customers, or only internal ansca development for now?

thanks

carlos m. icaza
Alumni

as soon as it is ready to go, subs will get it first.

c

carlos m. icaza
Alumni

@ne.hannah see numbers above.

aleeri
User offline. Last seen 1 year 30 weeks ago. Offline

A <---- if you mean OpenGL performance (transitions and stuff) because prime numbers are good for benchmarks but ... well you know

The look n feel is so much better on iOS right now and the number of remaining bugs on Android is quite large so I don't even mind dropping everything below 2.2 (Android updates are pretty quick anyway and the lower versions will disappear with time)

About the bugs ... well just get the two versions at the same level so we can deploy (I choose corona in our company and I'm getting more and more under pressure for that decision)

cheers

BenM
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Performance increase is always a great thing.. The bugs and missing features are also very important of course otherwise it cheapens the end products.

Keep up the great work guys.

richardleggett
User offline. Last seen 3 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

Hey guys,

I've just spent a couple of days porting some code I was writing (native Android, OpenGL via AndEngine) to see whether I could get the game done faster with Corona.

So I'm looking at whether I should make the purchase, unfortunately some things are unclear...

It *is* clear that with Corona I can write the game much faster, but:

Every game I've seen on the Android Market has comments about the lag, and my own tests here show a kind of inconsistent timing between frames with just a few sprites on screen... well, it's not big lag like you'd expect when a garbage collector runs... the FPS remains very near the 30 or 60 I set it to, but frequently drops, so I can still see minor delays between some frames.

The same applies to any of the samples, the lag is very much there. (Tested EggBreaker, and the boulder judders as soon as it starts to drop, Nexus S).

So what I'm trying to work out is should we be seeing this poor performance because the trial version is an older build? If so what can we expect in terms of graphical performance (no logic, just sprites with rigid bodies and a velocity) in the subscriber builds?

Many thanks, I'm both blown away by Corona, but at the same time very worried about taking the plunge.

carlos m. icaza
Alumni

we dropped support for 2.1 and below and our new android builds are froyo (2.2) armv7

some users c 50% p4mance increase

build is not out yet

c

richardleggett

Thanks Carlos, I guess I'll have to wait to see how it performs next time there's a public drop.

It's weird, if you run Fishies with screen config at 800x480, it stays at 30FPS nearly all the time, but dips to 13FPS on a Nexus One just enough times to be annoying to the user (number of sprites doesn't have any noticeable difference if I pick 10, 25 or even 50 for numFishes). But at least I know I can use Corona for the iOS version.

carlos m. icaza
Alumni

welcome to the wonderful world of android

c.

ssinger

I never took the time to post my results --- I have two of my Apps in Android and I had the opportunity to test the new Android drop prior to final release.

Both my Apps are performing at a 50-60% increase in speed --- BIG difference.

Thanks to Ansca!

richardleggett

Hey ssinger, do you have a link to your games made with that build? Happy to buy a copy.

ssinger
rxmarccall
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hoping for an update soon on this, my game is suffering on framerate, mostly when sensing a touch like others have said. Should i continue developing? any idea how soon this new build with the performance fixes will be released?

carlos m. icaza
Alumni

ARMV7 2.2 will be out on daily builds next week.

rxmarccall

Anyway that we could get a new build for Windows as well? =D i was hoping windows users were to be getting daily builds also as of a while ago, thanks

carlos m. icaza
Alumni

windows too and it will come out of beta as well so you can build to android store - target same day as arm7 build

rxmarccall

Wow that is exciting news!!! thank you for the update carlos

rxmarccall

Carlos, could you please clarify some things. Is the latest windows build out of BETA now? Also if this is the case, we need some kind of documentation of how to build to the google android market. Also, with this latest build (the current available) has the performance increased like you stated it would... thanks

tim@totalintegr...
User offline. Last seen 33 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Are these changes in the daily build yet. I have an app ready to go on iphone, would like to launch the android version at the same time, but the app is really slow and crashes on a HTC incredible.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

carlos m. icaza
Alumni

The latest daily builds only supports arm7 and 2.2 have been out for quite a while and everyone has noticed significant improvements.

c.

tim@totalintegr...
User offline. Last seen 33 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

What can cause crashes on android devices specifically? My app runs great on real iphone devices 3gs and iphone 4. And it runs great on the simulator. I'm wondering what kinds of things I should be looking for to optimize.

amandavines
User offline. Last seen 2 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

not sure if this has been addressed yet, but what about android 3.0? any plans on having support for this? I am targeting an android tablet, so 3.0 would be great.

-amanda

carlos m. icaza
Alumni

the current version 2.2 should work on 3.0

we have fixed a bunch of stuff on the latest drops to support 3.0

now : there are no 3.0 specific features we are supporting. that's a different story altogether ;-)

c.

Viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.