Support for Command Line (thus Continuous Integration) builds

31 replies [Last post]
bsoisoi
User offline. Last seen 2 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

We run a tight ship at my company. Code is unit tested, and upon check-in to version control, the code is tested and built into a last-good-build. CoronaSDK breaks this process for us as there isn't a way to automate the build process. With our Android SDK apps, we have automated build, test, and deploy to hardware devices. With a command line build process we could achieve similar results with Corona.

Replies

dorling.kindersley
User offline. Last seen 1 week 6 days ago. Offline

I completely agree, I've been searching the docs for this but cannot find anything. It would be tremendously helpful if the build process could be automated.

afonseca
User offline. Last seen 2 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

Our team is just starting to look into this as well and agree with the above. We need a way to automate nightly builds so the rest of our team can test with the latest.

Jefemcownage

This would be extremely useful in Corona.

don
User offline. Last seen 20 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

+1 Also, it would be great if the builds were faster so the dev, build, test loop was faster. The Corona simulator is great, but testing on the device is where I can be certain things are working. Command line builds + faster builds gets us two big steps closer to continuous deployment.

afonseca

Any update on this? This is still a highly desired feature for an improved workflow with Corona.

dorling.kindersley
User offline. Last seen 1 week 6 days ago. Offline

Can anyone from the Ansca team comment on this? The feature would be very welcome!

Thanks

Paul

silverthorax
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

+1

There is no doubt this would be a productivity boost for many teams using Corona.

Corona team already mentioned they had it in mind, about a year ago: http://developer.anscamobile.com/forum/2011/02/09/new-command-line-parameter-not-really-working#comment-23403

Waiting for it to be available, I was trying recently to play with the buildfile inside the Corona.app. See: http://developer.anscamobile.com/forum/2010/12/20/command-line-building#comment-42768

aleeri
User offline. Last seen 1 year 26 weeks ago. Offline

+1

need it as well

peach pellen
User offline. Last seen 1 year 32 weeks ago. Offline
Alumni

I will bring this up in our next meeting.

Peach :)

build
User offline. Last seen 2 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

Triggering a build for target platform (like Iphone) via commandline is quite essential. Are there any news to this topic ?

thodah11
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

I too would like to see some command line based tool one could use to build the apps with.
Would also be usefull in the way that one could connect this to other programming tools too. Like building from the IDE of ones choice.

Any news on this?

zeeero.coool
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

I have added one click build automation to my workflow. It works well enough to not have to wait for Ansca to deliver it: http://developer.anscamobile.com/forum/2011/10/03/build-automation

thodah11
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Yes, I've decided on setting up something similar using some other automation tool and it seems to work. But I still hope this way of building will become a part of the Corona package as it's an important feature imo.

jbverschoor_bloomsix
User offline. Last seen 13 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

+1 how about local builds :)

sakharov
User offline. Last seen 24 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Command line tools is most demanded feature for our team now.
I hope Ansca make it availible as soon as possible!

emily
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

+1
This is a really important feature.

Miu Games
User offline. Last seen 1 year 33 weeks ago. Offline

+1

useful stuff

nhofmeister
User offline. Last seen 2 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

+1

We are using a build cluster for all purposes and almost everything is running headless... So CLI support is essential.
I think zeeero.coool's solution is neat but is really not feasible to use something like this in an enterprise environment with loads of projects where you need a high level of automation.

robmiracle
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

I'll +1 this too, but more importantly I'd like to see the "No spaces in directory names" limit fixed.

xhuang
User offline. Last seen 1 year 47 weeks ago. Offline

Please include command line builds as well as local builds.

GiorgioG
User offline. Last seen 2 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

+1

Please provide an extra activation for the build box!

topthat
User offline. Last seen 1 week 1 day ago. Offline

This gets a +1 from us as well.

GiorgioG

Peach,

Can we get an ETA on this? Thanks!

-Giorgio

GiorgioG

Is anyone listening?

silverthorax
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

@GiorgoG, I think long-discussed issues like this one will obviously become part of the future wishlist/voting system. Ansca plans to make their release plans more transparent: http://blog.anscamobile.com/2012/04/kicking-it-up-another-notch/
Although it's not sure we will see this particular one happening, at least we should get more feedback from the team. Very soon.

peach pellen
Alumni

Hey Giorgo, we are listening.

As silverthorax noted we're in the process of a revamp to make things like this more achievable as well as making things more transparent.

Part of what we want to do it have a priority system based on voting (or the like) from the community, as mentioned in the blog.

Once that is in place things will be much clearer for you guys (to see and help us work out what matters most to you) and also for us just to prioritize better.

FortyFourDigital
User offline. Last seen 1 day 41 min ago. Offline

I think they're doing a great job of involving developers in the direction and function of Corona. I'd really like to see full control of builds via command line and I remember a post suggesting that the Corona chaps did or were hoping to implement this for their own use anyway? Perhaps I read that wrongly, but I bet there is a good chance that we'll see this feature soon enough. Thanks

peach pellen
Alumni

As I work remotely and am not in the office I'm not up to date on all the fancy stuff the team are doing on a day to day basis so I can't comment on that one way or the other, but I do hope you (and others) will stay tuned and this can be a priority as we find a way to give everyone a voice in how we prioritize. (As the blog post suggested a voting system is one thing we are considering.)

pnicolai
User offline. Last seen 2 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

+1

greg886
User offline. Last seen 3 days 8 hours ago. Offline

+1

neoinapp
User offline. Last seen 1 year 39 weeks ago. Offline

+1

Viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.