Unofficial Corona Developer Channel | #corona on irc.freenode.net

31 replies [Last post]
nckmrtn
User offline. Last seen 2 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Who?

Anyone who's reading this! It doesn't matter if you're a Corona developer (yet) or not, swing by and chat with us.. well.. right now it's just me, but you gotta start somewhere.

What?

From Wikipedia: Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is a form of real-time Internet text messaging (chat) or synchronous conferencing. It is mainly designed for group communication in discussion forums, called channels, but also allows one-to-one communication via private message as well as chat and data transfers via Direct Client-to-Client.

Where?

#corona on irc.freenode.net

When?

Anytime you feel like it! One of the best things about IRC is being able to idle in a channel and only getting notified when something relevant happens in it (such as someone joining, chatting, leaving, etc).

Why?

I might just be old fashioned but most every other development platform I've used has had an active IRC channel - it really adds to the community once there are enough regulars in there. It's great if you want to take a quick break from coding or need to pick someone's brain quickly, plus IRC is great to chat with similar interested people about things that might be too mundane or off-topic for the forums!

How?

You will need an IRC client installed to connect, but luckily most of them are completely free! I'm assuming almost everyone reading this will be using Mac OS X as their operating system of choice so I'm only going to list some more popular ones for it..

*If for any reason whatsoever the amazing people at Ansca don't approve of this please feel free to delete this topic, otherwise I hope to see some of you soon!*

Replies

carlos m. icaza
User offline. Last seen 2 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Alumni

awesome ! from the amazing people at ansca !

carlos

peachpellen
User offline. Last seen 2 years 5 days ago. Offline

I love this idea; just downloaded Colloguy (much nicer than MacIrssi) and got it set up. :)

Hopefully it catches on, I'm all alone right now ^-^;

nckmrtn

Sorry peachpellen, forgot to add that the channel is actually #corona on irc.freenode.net (no double #).

I tried to update the opening post but the forums won't let me.. maybe someone could edit that for me?

IgnacioIturra
User offline. Last seen 2 years 49 weeks ago. Offline

Ahh good to know. I tried ##corona last night and it was obviously empty. It's weird the forum doesn't let you edit the first post, but you can always double post for something important like that.

nckmrtn

Just a quick bump to remind everyone that we're still kicking at #corona on irc.freenode.net - feel free to stop by!

Also note that the thread title is wrong, it should read #corona (no double #).

peachpellen

I'll be back in soon - been off due to computer issues. (Minor, getting sorted.)

I hope to see more people there, it's such a good way to communicate!

nckmrtn

Just another bump to let you know that we're still hanging around in #corona on irc.freenode.net and (slowly) growing in numbers! Don't be afraid to jump in and say hi!

I'm making a quick 'how to' guide for each of the three IRC clients listed above too, in case anyone needs them.

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season and wish you all best in the coming new year!

Spacehunter
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline

Good idea!

I just joined.

nckmrtn

Just another bump to let everyone know we're still hanging around in #corona on irc.freenode.net. Over the last while we've grown to a consistent 10+ users in the channel at all times.

If you haven't checked it out yet, what's stopping you?! If you have already but there was no one there, give us another shot!!

peachpellen

14 this second; I must start logging on more ^-^;

smaugs_treasure
User offline. Last seen 3 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

I tried logging into the chat but got an error message saying: irc.freenode.net: Terminated
I´m using Mibbit and have no problems using other channel on there.

smaugs_treasure
User offline. Last seen 3 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

*duplicate post, removed*

chinmay.patil
User offline. Last seen 1 year 14 weeks ago. Offline

freenode rejects connection from mibbit.

try http://webchat.freenode.net/

mikael_hellberg
User offline. Last seen 15 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hey! #corona is offline. Whats the deal?

peach pellen
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Alumni

It's online now :)

dominic.wood
User offline. Last seen 2 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Not used IRC before - how do I enter text in the webchat client? link to website has no user instructions nor google is any help - webchat means something else entirely on there :)

Great idea if I know how to get started

peach pellen
Alumni

Are you on Mac or Windows? If Mac, Colloquy is pretty easy to get into and has a "friendly" interface :)

Peach

chevol
User offline. Last seen 1 day 9 min ago. Offline

Is this now the "Official" Corona Developer Channel on IRC?

peach pellen
Alumni

Uh, I don't think it's technically "Official" because it isn't run by us - but it may as well be. (It's the only channel we use.)

chevol
User offline. Last seen 1 day 9 min ago. Offline

@Peach cool, thanks for the clarification. Just noticed thread here says Unofficial and IRC says Official, so wasn't sure if it became official and I missed it or something.

peach pellen
Alumni

Uhhhh, maybe it did? I haven't heard anything but I'm also not exactly "up" with IRC. I know Sean is in there a lot, so it may as well be official ;)

webpurchases
User offline. Last seen 2 years 13 weeks ago. Offline

Anyone still using this? I just splashed £2.99 on LimeChat, but none is there... I'm always late to the party :-)

peach pellen
Alumni

People are still using it - double check your settings :)

bpran
User offline. Last seen 3 days 1 hour ago. Offline

Hi Peach,
come and join us again in the irc channel :)

peach pellen
Alumni

Hey I wasn't around at that time but tomorrow I will attempt to drop by :-) I know I should spend more time there, I keep just forgetting to log on ;-)

bpran

Hi everyone,
please use this channel if you want to learn more about using Corona SDK to create great games.

Many good friendly people with good programming skills in there.
In the last 3 weeks I learned a lot of things from them.

See you soon and happy coding!

P.S:
still see no Peach! (haha)

peach pellen
Alumni

Haha sorry, I know, I'm so slack-

Have been in a few times but due to travel, a conference and catching up with local friends I haven't had as much time for IRC as I'd like. (The internet at my hotel is somewhat questionable.)

I'll be back on a desktop soon and will likely leave it perpetually logged in then :-)

Peach

CurvedLight
User offline. Last seen 1 week 3 days ago. Offline

Does anyone use this ? ( IRC chat channel) I have logged on a few times in the last week and was the only one one ....

Ken

bpran

Yes, I am there most of the time,
you probably on wrong server or wrong channel.
Currently right now we have 20+ people in there.

#corona
irc.freenode.net

CurvedLight

@bpran - you were correct-- I was having issues with the IRC client on my iPad. Set up a client on my PC and see that there are ~24 people logged in.....

Now I just need to learn how IRC chat works :)

thanks
Ken

CurvedLight

@bpran - you were correct-- I was having issues with the IRC client on my iPad. Set up a client on my PC and see that there are ~24 people logged in.....

Now I just need to learn how IRC chat works :)

thanks
Ken

Viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.