Corona is not currently supported on Hackintosh machines.

43 replies [Last post]
Jeff Johnson
User offline. Last seen 3 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Corona is not currently supported on Hackintosh machines.

Replies

kreso
User offline. Last seen 1 day 13 hours ago. Offline

That's a shame!
Corona seems like an ideal solution for me, but I have a PC with OSX. I just tried running Corona but I can't get past the login screen "Could not verify account information".

Is there an action plan to make Corona work on 'Hackintosh'?

hiqulabs
User offline. Last seen 4 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

Too bad!

Jeff Johnson
User offline. Last seen 3 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Unfortunately because there are so few users out there with it and so many possible failure scenarios, it is unlikely that it will be supported. But it would be good to know how many users out there are interested in a solution.

hiqulabs
User offline. Last seen 4 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

Just curious to know why the sim would require any specific code changes to make it work on non-Apple hardware when Snow Leopard and all the Mac Apps work just fine on hackinstosh?

I'm not purely hackinstosh user. I do have Apple hardware. I also have licensed retail copy of Snow Leopard on Thinkpad running at 1920x1200 resolution at 15.4" which I love it and primarily use for development.

nueve99
User offline. Last seen 4 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

Jeff:

I'am an apple user with PC hardware. I work with Linux, Win and Mac and builds applications for all this hardwars. I now need to work with Corona but I can't install it in my hardware.
The "Could not verify account information." message appears in the screen.
How can I do to install it under me responsability?

Thanks in advance.

Chman
User offline. Last seen 2 years 44 weeks ago. Offline

Just so you know - not really a hackintosh but still - Corona works great on VMWare 7 + Retail version of Snow Leopard + VMWare tools (Windows XP_64 host). Although on some occasions it hangs when the simulator is running.

Tom

nueve99
User offline. Last seen 4 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

Chman:

Thanks for your reply!
I will try to do that.

thanks

BonesFEIQ
User offline. Last seen 4 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

I'm in the same situation here - I actually just installed Leopard on my PC so I could start playing with Corona SDK after testing it for a bit on my girlfriend's MacBook. I'm not going to invest in a Mac if there's no payoff in sight - so the hackintosh seemed like a very good idea.

I understand the position of not wanting to support Hackintoshes per se, but to willingly exclude them sounds a bit extreme, given how perfectly all other software runs on them.

So I'm stuck at the "Could not verify account information" window, hoping the good people at Ansca Mobile would let me use their product and let me deal with the issues of my legally questionable computer installation if they do occur...

Please ?

evank
User offline. Last seen 3 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Alumni

We actually don't take any steps to exclude Hackintoshes, we just don't specifically support them, and they seem to be different enough at a low level that they often don't work with Corona.

I personally saw Corona running on a customer's Hackintosh earlier this month, but I think it depends on the specific hardware and how much it resembles a Mac. The case I saw was a Dell netbook that apparently has hardware that is so similar to a Mac that (I'm told) there's no way to tell the difference at the OS level. So that worked fine, but other Hackintosh hardware configurations may not be as Mac-like, so they can fail for reasons we can't diagnose or control.

BonesFEIQ
User offline. Last seen 4 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

Sorry for the tone of my previous post, I was a bit annoyed by my situation at the time.

And thanks for taking the time to shed some light on the issue, I guess I'll go get a mac once I have a project ready to be implemented.

fdi777
User offline. Last seen 1 year 20 weeks ago. Offline

You need good valid version of VMWARE.

Oops, I meant Leopard and with the right version.

musajoemo
User offline. Last seen 3 years 1 week ago. Offline

I have Corona working on a Hackintosh. You must have 2 GB of ram for Corona to work. I have Corona 1.1 and 2 beta 4 working on a Dell Mini 10v with 2 GB of ram. Running 10.6.2

carlos m. icaza
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Alumni

That's great to hear !

Thanks for the feedback. Let us know how it works out.

Carlos

Watervale
User offline. Last seen 2 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

unfortunately not a solution for all problems with hackintosh. On an Asus 1000h with 2gb RAM, even with original apple ethernet card, corona couldn't get past the "login" screen...

musajoemo

Yeah, a ASUS hackintosh won't work. The Dell mini's (9 and 10V) have the same spec as the original Macbook.
The Dell Mini's work with Corona. Others wont work. Get a Dell Mini and Corona will work.

DFox
User offline. Last seen 1 year 29 weeks ago. Offline

To be blunt, Hackintoshes are simply an awful idea and a guaranteed headache. Trust me, I know from the hundreds of grueling hours I spent trying to get one in development-environment shape, instead of going out and paying $500-$550 for a Mac Mini. Seriously, to date, it's probably one of the worst mistakes I've ever made in my entire life. Everything's a chore with a Hackintosh. It just is. If you're working on one and trying to get stuff like Corona, or any other development tools to work, save yourself the aggravation and splurge for the Mac Mini, it'll be the best decision you make. And if you think your Hackintosh is working fine, you're probably wrong. Try signing a distribution certificate for an app before you go any further. At any time you might discover something simple like that doesn't work on a Hackintosh.

To sum it up: I hate Macs. I hate them with a passion. But, I want to develop for the iPhone/iPad and Android, and I love Corona, and for this purpose, the Mac Mini rocks. Great machine that does everything you ask it to do, no problems. So yeah, if this saves one person here from going through what I had to go through, then it was worth it.

Alwayk
User offline. Last seen 2 years 34 weeks ago. Offline

Hi guys. I have the same problem but I have a retail version of Snow Leopard updated to 10.6.3. It's very strange that I have this problem.
What can I do? Corona is a beautiful SDK but I can't do anything without the simulator and so the licence. I would try it before buying it but simply I can't.

Please! Help me! :(

thesmileman
User offline. Last seen 10 weeks 20 hours ago. Offline

I strongly disagree with your comments. Geting a hackintosh setup was easy as pie. I have it running on a $250 dell core 2 duo and it is really fast. I added a 9800gt and it is even faster. So for 350 bucks plus the $29 for snow leopard I have a machine I could never afford/would never afford. I have went through 10.5, 10.6, and several smaller updates and everything is working fine for me even through the upgrades. if you install correctly with chameleon it will all work out great even through the updates. The only thing I can't get to work is Microsoft Silverlight and who cares about that (I am sure some web devs do but I don't).

Also Corona is working great on my machine. I am curious what the Corona SDK would be doing that would prevent a mackintosh from working? Are you actually using OpenGL for the rendering? If so then that would make since but other than that unless you are doing the "Intel processor version check" that Silverlight does I don't know why it wouldn't work. You obviously aren't doing the later because it wouldn't work on my machine then because I have some special version of the core 2 duo that was never in an official mac.

DFox
User offline. Last seen 1 year 29 weeks ago. Offline

Before you get excited, did you try creating an actual build in Corona and running it on your device? That's the hard part, not getting the software to run. There seems to be tons of issues with app signing on hackintoshes.

thesmileman
User offline. Last seen 10 weeks 20 hours ago. Offline

I have signed apps since day one on they first sdk. Granted I have not done it with corona but I wouldn't imagine it being any different as apple is doing the heavy lifting for the signing.

musajoemo

The Hackintosh will work with Corona, using Corona as your GUI/IDE on a Hackintosh works great. An Apple product is the "ideal" environment for using Corona. DFox sounds like someone who has experience using a Hackintosh and has experienced some of the pitfalls of using Corona on a Hackintosh. Thesmileman sounds like someone who is happy with the Hackintosh/Corona setup. I like to think of the Hackintosh as the "gateway drug" of the Apple product line . LOL. Just keep checking ebay for a good Mac Book/Mac Book Pro/Modbook/Mac Mini. I just snagged a Modbook at a good price on eBay. After using the Hackintosh I really wanted to get my hands on a "Mac" with more CPU, So I bought a Modbook. I still use my Hackintosh because
of it's portability (My is Dell Mimi 10V).

musajoemo

Save your receipts and write everything off come tax time. :-)

hornez.pierre
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

(i'm french so excuse my english)

For those who have the "getMacAddress return 0x0000005" on Hackintosh and have a GIGABYTE motherboard :
Try the cartri Macbios. It's a modified bios for Gigabyte motherboard.

It works for me.

Also : If you plan on selling your app on appstore : DON'T USE A HACKINTOSH.
It's risky because of all legal rules you break.

But if you just want to taste the apple way of coding then : Cartri macbios.

Ansca Moderator : Feel free to delete this post if you don't want to suport hackintosh.

jmp909
User offline. Last seen 44 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

I have the same problem. My company has purchased Corona where we have iMacs, but my training is to be done at home part-time, where I am running Snow Leopard on an Intel Quad.

i get the same errors:

"GetMacAddress returned 0x0000005"
"cannot create socket on en1"

My guess is i need an updated kext, but I'm not on a gigabyte board. if anyone could help that'd be great.

Ironically all my Apple software works fine (Snow Leopard, iTunes, Logic 8 etc) and Apple don't seem to be doing anything to block the hackintosh in the OS updates.

regards
J

Matthew Pringle
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

The problem with a Hackintosh is that it can consume so much time keeping it healthy that if you valued your time then you would be better purchasing a Mac and putting your time / creative skills into creating something. Ive hacked it onto towers, handhelds and laptops just for fun and while possible there is usually one outstanding issue or at some point in the future they decide not to startup properly.

I would suggest ( doing it cheaply ), just get a second hand mac mini from eBay, otherwise just bite the bullet and buy a mac.

You dont see plumbers / electricians or any other professionals trying to fudge a bit of kit that they need. They buy the right tool for the job and in this case its a Mac running OSX with an Intel chipset. If you are skilled enough to be using a Mac for creative work then the cost of the Mac is inconsequential when compared to how much you can make using that tool.

For instance 1 days Freelance work last week paid for a 17" MacBook Pro. Everyday after that that computer just makes money. Im not showing off but thats how you should look at the cost of purchase when buying a computer for professional use.

jmp909

Matthew,

i agree in principle, but i chose Corona for evaluation over Flash Packager & Airplay SDK etc. As such I'm not ready to make that investment in hardware at the moment. If it comes to actually using it for development, then yes I would want a stable system. Thanks for your comments though...

..anyway I got it working!

editing /Extra/com.apple.boot.plist

and adding

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>

then I needed to reboot a couple of times.

time to get learning...

alecgorge

If you are still having trouble after doing what jmp909 said, and you have a Realtek ethernet port try this:

Remove any other Realtek ethernet drivers you may have (chucko, Realtek official).

Install the current beta release of the drive on this page: http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/realtekrtl81xx-osx-driver.html

Do what jmp909 said above.

Write apps in Corona.

jmp909

10.6.5 update just broke mine :(

fdi777
User offline. Last seen 1 year 20 weeks ago. Offline

Buy a mac. now USD so low. just get it.

jmp909

hi can you suggest how to remove the others please?

installed lnx2mac but not working still... still sees IOBuiltIn as false, which i think is the issue

thanks
j

alecgorge

Look in /Extra/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions and remove any kext that begins with Realtek.

Repair permissions (important)

Reboot with -f EthernetBuildIn=y

If that doesn't fix it, remove /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist and reboot.

Good luck.

jmp909

it's fixed now. somehow i'd lost my ethernet driver (inside IONetworkingFamily.kext) . after that My wireless was on en0 and i got my Ethernet back on en1. Corona doesn't like this. it wants a built-in ethernet NIC on en0

anyway sorted thanks to the guys over on irc

jmp909

it's fixed now. somehow i'd lost my ethernet driver (inside IONetworkingFamily.kext) . after that My wireless was on en0 and i got my Ethernet back on en1. Corona doesn't like this. it wants a built-in ethernet NIC on en0

anyway sorted thanks to the guys over on irc

jmp909

[deleted]

Hunnenkoenig
User offline. Last seen 1 year 10 weeks ago. Offline

I am on an IBM intel based hackintosh laptop and I have no problems with corona.
At least as long as I build AdHoc versions.

I didn't try to publish on Appstore yet, because I didn't buy Corona yet.

Just wanted to say...

alecgorge

That is because in the January release, they finally changed it so that it works.

In November it didn't work.

Hunnenkoenig
User offline. Last seen 1 year 10 weeks ago. Offline

As I thought ... :-)

I just wanted to state the fact, so new users see it :-)

Gremlin Interactive™
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 42 min ago. Offline

I can confirm the latest build and latest daily build of corona is working on a hackintosh laptop (a friends) running 10.6.3 snow leopard.

Everything works including making builds :)

BoarK
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

infuseddreams,

Any way you can confirm this for the latest build 640? It no longer works on my Vmware workstation 8. Started breaking on build 638 when they added all the OpenGL fixes.

Thanks.
Nathan.

troynall
User offline. Last seen 35 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

i also started down the hackintosh road and could not get it(corona) implemented with
a dell 620 nor a mini 9. And at that point I realised I had spent enough money of to cheaper
machines to purchase a single USED apple machine. I ebay'd the hackintoshs for a few exactly
what I purchased them for AND started looking...

i purchased my macbook from a kewl website for under 300 bucks (about a year ago)
it took me about 1 month of "looking" and finally found a machine that would work with corona.
i made sure the machine had all the min requirement(RAM, HD, PROCESSOR, etc...)

an excellent source for mac machines are
www DOT cowboom DOT com
www DOT techforless DOT com

The first site is where I found my wonderful baby(MACBOOK), the tech notes for this item
stated that the screen goes dark every few minutes. But the unit also had a EXTERNAL video
port, so worst case scenario, I would plug it into my Video Monitor.

I got the MACBOOK in 4 days(I chose reg ups ship which was free), plugged it in and sure enough within 8 minutes it dimmed again. I googled the symptoms and found that an operating system update may help. I did the update and still no help. But then I digged deeper and found a setting to never let DISPLAY sleep. I changed this in my preferences. And you know what ?

It has never dimmed since then. When I always walk away from my mac I put it in sleep mode via keyboard keystrokes. but other that, I have had no other problems.

both the above websites require some tecnhical expertise. sometimes units dont have an operating system, so you need to have a plan on how to fix such things. MAKE SURE
YOU READ ALL TECHINCAL NOTES ON ALL ITEMS.

SIde note -
there is also a NONFUNTIONAL section at the above second website(techforless).
this is great for purchasing a machine for spare parts.
I got a nonfunction macbook for under 33 bucks(the screen and keyboard was busted) and used the battery from it and also got an EXTRA power supply cord.
That price was including shipping !!!

i hope this help someone not repeat my mistakes.

pixiogame
User offline. Last seen 9 weeks 16 hours ago. Offline

It no longer works with my hackintosh ASUS P6T with SL 10.6.0 w/ GTX260 card( failed 704). The last working version for me is build 591.

:(

nicholasclayg
User offline. Last seen 2 days 1 hour ago. Offline

It still works, you just have to have the items modified. Its different for everyones machine, so I cant even tell you what it would be on yours. Kexts, bash scripts etc.

I still use my hackintosh machine, still working and it's on lion (but not mtn lion).

I 95% on my macbook pro, and only when im out and about when the wife is using my macbook will i use the hackintosh :)

cspence
User offline. Last seen 1 day 13 hours ago. Offline

It works fine here on a hackintosh. I think it is more the hardware, if you are using hardware that is very compatible as a hackintosh (especially gigabyte motherboards) it should work fine.

Viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.